1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another: "My Dog got my Baby Chicks" Thread

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bragabit, May 19, 2009.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Well list me among all those who never thought that their dog would attack their own chickens. I am just numb now, as we lost baby one in the night. My Dog took care and lived with the baby chicks for a whole month before they went to the pasture with the hens. All of the chickens are protected by a 5 foot fence. My dog jumped/climbed the fence last night when we went inside to watch 'dancing w/ the stars'.

I came outside to check on everyone and my dog was playing w/ a almost dead chick. It was heartbreaking. I am so mad at my dog, he has never even touched the chickens before. I found the hens huddled in the roost and the babies scattered all over the yard in hiding places and 3 babies in the rafters (didn't know they could fly that high) I chained my dog up.

Everytime my dog starts barking the chickens run for the coop, and some of the babies run in circles terrified. My dog was more than a pet. Last year when my dh had to work out of town, he was our gaurd dog. He alerted us when anyone came onto the yard.

It is evident that he jumped the 5 foot fence AND went inside the coop by crawling through the trap door. I know we can keep him chained up, but he has always lived in our chainlinked fenced in backyard. I just don't know what to do [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. mfsakc

mfsakc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    El Dorado County, CA
    So sorry for the loss of your chick and to find out your dog was the culprit. [​IMG]

We have two bird dogs that would kill my chickens at any moment. Because we know this our coop and run are completely predator proof. Predator proof against the racoons, coyotes and my own dogs.

As humans we sometimes expect our dogs to behave as we do...at times forgetting they are animals of prey.

Predator proof your run and coop so you can unchain your dog. Having the right defenses in place will insure peace and harmony amongst all your pets.

3. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Aw that is so sad! I am sorry! Our dachshund is going to be a problem too. She doesnt mess with them in the brooder, but if I take one out of the brooder she nips at it and tries to eat it... in spite of the repeated "No No, this is not food!" speeches... I sowwie for your loss!

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My neighbor's dog chased one of my Araucana cross chicks down through the woods. The dog came back, the chick never did. [​IMG]
    The owner of the dog now KNOWS if the dog comes back to my house, he will never come home again.....

My own dogs would kill a chick in an instant, so my dogs do not ever get the chance to go near my chickens.

5. PattiXmas

PattiXmas Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Wow, so sad about your dog attacking your chicks. Have you thought about working with your dog on the leave it and drop it command?

6. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    This is sad.. sorry to hear this. [​IMG]

This is what I am doing and we have lots of preditors. Get a "solar electric fence" go to tractor supply and get some wire and hook it up. Its easy and your dog (or anything else!) will not bother your chickens again! good luck!

7. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    I'm sorry. I have been there not long ago. It might be time to reenvorce your run. That way the dog can't get in. It is the worst when it is your pet. [​IMG]

8. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Quote:Oh he is trained great, but the problem is we were not outside when it happened. We need to fortify the chicken enclosure to keep him out.

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

So sorry this happened to you. I've been there! [​IMG]

10. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    As top dog we must establish the pack order/pecking order. It takes lots of consistancy and hard work but can be done.

I have ten hens and two dogs. We work on the pecking order constantly with our rescue dogs but still have it in the back of our heads that when we're not there something might happen. They all have been free-ranging together since January with no problems as yet.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited: May 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by