Another mystery chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Charlie Chicken, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Charlie Chicken

Charlie Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    Can anyone identify this chick? It is the "Rare Exotic Chick" that McMurray Hatchery included in my chick order and I can't figure out what breed it is. I checked the catalog many times but can't seem to match him up with anything. He is 7 weeks old and has a muff on his head, no feathers on the legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It's an easter egger and it does look like a cockerel.

3. Charlie Chicken

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    Wow, that was quick! Four minutes after the post I get an answer. Thanks a bunch.

Now the next thing to do is figure out what to do with the darn thing. He is in with a flock of five varieties of female Rocks. I guess I could just keep him as a curiosity & conversation piece.

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    That is a pretty easter egger. The hatcheries call them ameraucanas, I would wait to see if it is a roo or not, because they can lay a pretty green egg.

5. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Yep, looks like an EE rooster.

6. Charlie Chicken

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    I just assumed it was a rooster because if his size and I doubt they include any hens with their "Rare Exotic Chick" that they always throw in. I have never received a female in any shipment in the past. I have an idea the hatchery puts all the surplus roosters into a big box and throws one into everyones chick order.

7. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    coloring is very pretty, this is why I love these "mutt" chickens I just love the surprise variations of color.

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Looks like a beautiful EE roo. I love the coloring!

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    He's REAL cute! [​IMG] You should keep him! How do you say no to that fwuffy widdle face! [​IMG]

10. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    It does look like an Easter Egger but with that poof it looks like a hen to me. My EE hen has the poof & my EE roo does not. Plus those feathers around that chicken's neck doesnt look pointed and maybe it's my computer but i dont see so much pink in the comb. My EE Roo's comb was bright pink by about 3-4 weeks.
    I think it's a girl. And sometimes McMurray throws in a "rare" one - rare, meaning female!! for their free one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by