Another mystery chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlackBrookPoultry, Feb 1, 2011.

1. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I have this 4 month old chicken from Sandhill and it came with my oprington/dorking order. I'm not sure what it is. It is black, has white earlobes, and I'm pretty sure she's been laying a creamy white egg. It doesn't have a 5th toe. Maybe it's a dorking without the extra toe? Very friendly bird. I thought maybe a black leghorn, but the leg color is wrong. She is trying to stay on the perch so her tail feathers are down, they usually stick straight out.
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What color are the soles of her feet?

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I bet she's a minorca. Pretty!

4. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    To me she doesn't look to be laying yet. Maybe the earlobe is just kind of pale at this point, or is it truly white? Sure looks like a Black Australorp to me...

5. BlackBrookPoultry

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Ok, I went to grab her today to see what color the bottom of her feet were. Then I noticed her comb. It's almost like a double comb in the back. I think she's a Black Penedescenca. That would also explain the resemblence to a Minorca. Apparently she's not laying the cream colored egg. What am I going to do with that large comb in this climate?
    Sandhill's description:
    Black Penedescenca (MB): Black Minorca-like chicken with a unique single comb that has almost a crown at the back side. They lay a dark, dark brown egg. Their behavior is very flighty and is similar to a Leghorn. They have an unusual comb - - - single in the front with multiple lobes at the rear. This breed is not yet listed in the APA Standard. Chick $6.00 each (10)

I also read on feathersite that they have white earlobes but lay a dark brown egg.​

6. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Wow, I would love to get a surprise Penedesenca! That might explain the fuller body too, because I think the black Penes were developed as a meatier variety.

7. BlackBrookPoultry

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    She is beautiful and not at all flighty. She's actually pretty curious and I handle her more than my other chickens because she's always right next to me. I felt sorry for her because I just thought she was a really ugly black orpington. Can't wait for those dark, dark eggs!

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    she's really pretty! jossanne, minorca's really big combs so i'm not sure that's it. i agree that she may be an austrolorp, though

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:You're right, they do when they're older. But my minorcas had small combs until they were laying, just like that one. [​IMG]

A penedesenca would be wonderful. Crossing my fingers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by