another nest box question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JohnDeereCracker, May 10, 2009.

1. JohnDeereCracker

JohnDeereCracker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Middleburg, Florida
    what is a good hieght for the boxes? right now I have it framed out at 30 inches off the floor. I will put a roost out front, but looking at the frame, it looks really tall. would this be OK? if not it is not too late to change it. thanks for any input.
    chris

2. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I think I had read somewhere that 2 feet was about right. I don't think that 30 inches would be that bad, but im not an expert. My nest box is two story and the bottom perch is about 22 inches off the ground. my chickens have no problems.

3. JohnDeereCracker

Apr 17, 2009
    Middleburg, Florida
    Thanks, I didn't think it would be bad, but it never hurts to ask.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    They can be any height as long as smallest chickens, or any that are flight challenged (frizzles/Silkies) can reach them. mine are 2 story with the lowest being 18 inches off the ground. A good rule is to make sure the roosts are higher than the boxes so that they roost on the roost, since chickens tend to associate the higher roosts as being better, if boxes are higher they may take to those instead. [​IMG]

5. JohnDeereCracker

Apr 17, 2009
    Middleburg, Florida
    good info thank you. I guess I will be raising the roosts up a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by