Laying in front of the pop door

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
My girls seem to have decided they MUST lay by the waterer next to the pop door. This morning, my husband brought me two eggs, apparently laid last night, because I just got 3 more! They previously were squeezing in between the water and wall, so I filled it with wood.

20230205_120004.jpg

Husband found the two this morning under the lip of the waterer in this little hole!
20230205_115948.jpg

I just went out for these photos, and two girls were in front of the pop door. Picked one up and got a surprise! All three had just laid directly in front of the door!
20230205_120056.jpg

This is the worst place. Someone's going to walk on and break them! They have perfectly good, untouched, nest boxes (with golf balls) on the far side of the coop. How do I get them to change?

Do I give up and relocate the waterer? I really don't want to because that's such a convenient place for it.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edit: I did go make some modifications. See below.

Last edited:
I just cleaned out the coop, went back in the afternoon, and sure enough, nothing in the nest, but between the wall and a cement block, a nice one.

I would move the waterer outside for a week, and scape the bedding away from that spot. I dropped a bucket into my 'nest', but right where they are coming in? What a weird place!

Mrs K

I just cleaned out the coop, went back in the afternoon, and sure enough, nothing in the nest, but between the wall and a cement block, a nice one.

I would move the waterer outside for a week, and scape the bedding away from that spot. I dropped a bucket into my 'nest', but right where they are coming in? What a weird place!

Mrs K
Really! The coop is 49 sq feet for 4 chickens! It's not like there aren't better spots even if they don't want the nest box!

3 eggs today...guess where? On the other side of the pop door with one just a bit farther out in the coop! What is with these little exhibitionists??? I took the last two eggs and moved them into the nest boxes with the golf balls. They saw me move them...maybe that'll get their attention? 🤷‍♀️

I figure if unwashed eggs stay good on the counter quite a while being in the coop should be okay. Too warm to freeze.

So Sheba, my black hen, was preparing to lay...next to the pop door. :( I gently picked her up and placed her in the nest box.

She jumped out and ran like Hell into the run. :he Oh well. I tried.

Back
Top Bottom