another nesting box question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shaggy, May 13, 2009.

1. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i am still in the process of building my coop/roost/run

i want to have the nesting box jutting out from the side and the top of it on hinges so i can open it and access the eggs with ease.

i have seen it mentioned that the nesting box should be 18"x18"

can i build 1 large communal nesting box 18" tall and 36" wide ... or do i need dividers in there?

2. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    Hens will like it better if there are dividers in the box. Otherwise they might lay on the floor. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    back to the drawing board ..... [​IMG]

4. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    You could build the communal box and then just tack up some plywood for dividers. Ours is like that.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    18x18 sounds a little big, mine are 12x12 and can fit 4 hens at the same time.

6. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] great minds think alike ... same thing i was thinking of ... wasn't sure how i was going to make it work ... maybe use finishing nails since they won't bust up the plywood too much

Quote:inches?

12 inches wide by 12 inches tall?

how deep?

7. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    That is ture hens do like to have there know nesting boxs

8. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:[​IMG] great minds think alike ... same thing i was thinking of ... wasn't sure how i was going to make it work ... maybe use finishing nails since they won't bust up the plywood too much

Quote:inches?

12 inches wide by 12 inches tall?

how deep?

Actually 12 x 12 was just a sujestion, thinkning 12 inches deep too [​IMG]

Here is my actual nestbox, its only 10 1/2 deep, about 11 tall, and boxes vary in width from about 9 inches to 18 inches, the bottom right is the 9 inch one, and everyone seems to like it best. I have had 4 chickens cramed into that box, so it must be good. It has plenty of room for Australops, and Buff Orphingtons.

[​IMG]

9. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    'Wow.. I'm just getting ready to build my coop and boxes.. I would have never thought to go as small as 9" or do random sizes for them to pick their own comfort box.. I may have to do that.. I've got about 5 mths before I'll need them LOL

has anyone used milk crates (or are they too open)

has anyone tried the 5 gallon bucket turned on its side with the lid cut in half to hold bedding in..?? sound kinda neat, but really deep

I am planning on standard boxes that I can get from the other side so I don't have to walk into the coop everyday..

10. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Mine are actually a set of cabinets, that open to the People side of the coop, so I dont have to go into the coop all the time, but I do anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by