Another new adventure

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Judogi, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Judogi

Judogi New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    Evenin', y'all! Two new chicken wranglers here in western Tennessee - Lisa and David. We've been planning on getting some layers for years, and finally decided to take the plunge this year. David has been working hard on the coop, and I've been getting the spare bathtub ready for our new babies. The local co-op (Stockdale's) and TSC just got in their first shipments, so we'll be proud new parents tomorrow! Stockdale's gives you a heads up on what breeds they will have, but TSC apparently just gets a mixed bag, first come first served. We REALLY wanted a flock of Buff Orpingtons, but we're doubtful that TSC will get any and we know that Stockdale's only has gold and black Sex-Links, Barred Rock, and Rhode Island Reds. So unless TSC gives us a surprise, we'll be bringing home a flock of Barred Rocks. The plan is to only get five hens to start, but we'll see how long that lasts! The hubby is planning ahead and built a coop big enough for 10-15 (he knows me too well). So excited!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Honey B

Honey B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    Georgia
    Congrats and welcome! Don't forget to post some pics of your new chicks [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

4. blue2jade

blue2jade Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2014
    [​IMG] I hope you get your Buff Orpingtons. I own two and they are great. Barred Rocks are great too though. I have one and she's the most affectionate of my flock. Congrats on the new chicks and welcome.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I would be shocked if TSC doesn't have buff orps. They are SO popular these days. I hope you can find them! They are my favorite breed!

Congrats on the chicks!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I've had all of those breeds and hybrids over the years, and the Black Sex Links are my favorites. They are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. They have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. Your husband is a very wise man. Chickens are very addictive so coop and runs fill up very fast.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

Gold and Black Sex-Links in particular would be great choices for you, I think. They are excellent layers and docile birds.Barred Rocks also tend to be nice chickens that lay well. Rhode Island Reds are occasionally aggressive, so may not be the best choice for a beginner. I suggest get a flock of Sex-Links and Rocks.[​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Sex-links and Barred Rocks would probably make great chickens to start out with. [​IMG] They tend to be friendly, hardy, and productive egg layers. If you can get them, Buff Orpingtons would definitely be nice birds, too.

Good luck with your future chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by