Another new adventure

Judogi

Chirping
Feb 14, 2015
Evenin', y'all! Two new chicken wranglers here in western Tennessee - Lisa and David. We've been planning on getting some layers for years, and finally decided to take the plunge this year. David has been working hard on the coop, and I've been getting the spare bathtub ready for our new babies. The local co-op (Stockdale's) and TSC just got in their first shipments, so we'll be proud new parents tomorrow! Stockdale's gives you a heads up on what breeds they will have, but TSC apparently just gets a mixed bag, first come first served. We REALLY wanted a flock of Buff Orpingtons, but we're doubtful that TSC will get any and we know that Stockdale's only has gold and black Sex-Links, Barred Rock, and Rhode Island Reds. So unless TSC gives us a surprise, we'll be bringing home a flock of Barred Rocks. The plan is to only get five hens to start, but we'll see how long that lasts! The hubby is planning ahead and built a coop big enough for 10-15 (he knows me too well). So excited!!!
wee.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I hope you get your Buff Orpingtons. I own two and they are great. Barred Rocks are great too though. I have one and she's the most affectionate of my flock. Congrats on the new chicks and welcome.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I would be shocked if TSC doesn't have buff orps. They are SO popular these days. I hope you can find them! They are my favorite breed!

Congrats on the chicks!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I've had all of those breeds and hybrids over the years, and the Black Sex Links are my favorites. They are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. They have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Gold and Black Sex-Links in particular would be great choices for you, I think. They are excellent layers and docile birds.Barred Rocks also tend to be nice chickens that lay well. Rhode Island Reds are occasionally aggressive, so may not be the best choice for a beginner. I suggest get a flock of Sex-Links and Rocks.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Sex-links and Barred Rocks would probably make great chickens to start out with.
smile.png
They tend to be friendly, hardy, and productive egg layers. If you can get them, Buff Orpingtons would definitely be nice birds, too.

Good luck with your future chickens!

Back
Top Bottom