Another new chicken lady

holly mc

Hatching
Mar 28, 2015
Have been researching like mad on chickens! Mine come Tuesday as chicks . So much info on herbs to use, apple cider vinegar, as well as diamateous earth use. Hellpppp! Just can anyone give me the basics on keeping my hens healthy and happy. ?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on the soon to be new chicks! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of helpful articles on raising your chicks, building the coop and all other aspects of keeping your birds safe and healthy. I will also include the link to caring for your new chicks for the first 60 days....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If they are coming by mail, make sure to notify your PO so they can let you know the moment they arrive. When you get them home, first thing you need to do is dip everybody's beaks in the water as you put them in the brooder. They need to be hydrated before they eat so as to help prevent pasty butt. You can put probiotics in the water or ACV to help with this as well. 1 tablespoon per gallon of water is sufficient, or 3/4 teaspoon per quart of water. Change and make a new batch of either of these if you use them.

Lay down paper towels around the feeder and sprinkle feed all around. If the feed is really large, crush it down for the first week. You can tap with your fingers at it so they learn where it is and to eat. You can remove the towels after they figure out where the feed is kept.

Start them out at 90 degrees, thermometer place directly on the floor beneath the heat source. Heat on one side, food and water on the cool side of the brooder. 1/2 square foot per baby. Don't cover the lid with anything but a screen or wire for good heat and oxygen exchange. Lower the heat by 5 degrees each week.

You can put in some branches and even a roost bar to play and learn on. Get them out on the living room floor or outside for field trips after one week on a daily basis. Helps to break up boredom and helps them adjust to new surroundings. Helps them bond with you more as well.

Enjoy your new babies!! Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Two Crows has given you great advice on caring for your chickens.

I am a HUGE fan of using herbs within my flock. I've noticed SO many health changes in the two years I've been using them. Feel free to PM me if you are wanting to learn more.

Good luck!

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

You've received some excellent advice from TwoCrows! I hope your chicks all arrive safely.
smile.png

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You have gotten some great advice. I don't know anything about the use of herbs except that humans have overdone it to the point they are having severe reactions (in combination with medications they take).They should check with their doctors first. Since most chicken folks don't have a vet, I just wouldn't do it.

I was caught up in all the PR years ago, about DE and couldn't wait to use this wonder powder. It did absolutely nothing - I didn't make that mistake again.

My opinion is that the basic practices for feed, growing out, etc. are sound. Some people are always looking for some edge, some extra enhancement and sooner or later it unbalances everything that went before.

Back
Top Bottom