Another new chicken lover here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Diane8, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Diane8

Diane8 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    I don't remember why or if I ever decided to raise chickens but that special day in April I drove out of my way to the store that advertised that they had new chicks. I had the sales girl pick the breeds that could tolerate the cold so she gave me a RI Red (Abby), Silver laced Wyandotte (Thelma), Golden laced Wyandotte (Gertrude), Partridge Rock (Rosey formerly pasty butt ), Buff Orpington (Hannah), and my feather footed Brahma (Penny) . The next time I went to the store for supplies I couldn't help myself and I picked up 2 more another RI Red (Amy) and a Leghorn (Sadie). They are spoiled, brave, and bossy when they want their treats. My cat is afraid of them and wants nothing to do with them.
    They are my new babies and I love them[​IMG]

Now, I own a pair of rubber shoes to wear when taking care of the chickens
    Oh yeah... I live in Ulster County, NY.
    There is always something new to learn when I come to this site so I'm finally a member today.

2. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Welcome!!!! Im from ulster aswell (Highland)! You should stop by the "Hudson Valley chat thread"! I raise Silver laced Wyandottes, Silver spangled hamburgs and Lavender Orpingtons!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] what a nice assortment of breeds you have - good luck with your flock - pictures would be nice - hint, hint.

4. Diane8

Diane8 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    I live near Stone Ridge but in Accord. I checked the HV thread, guess there are three of us. Has anyone had any run ins with bears? A baby bear came by probably because he smelled the feed. He was so so cute but I had to scare him away[​IMG] He would grab a tree standing there looking back at me all sad but I had to chase him away with the boat horn. 'A fed bear is a dead bear'
    chick pics to be posted soon.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Diane8, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Sounds like you are enjoying the chicken life! Good luck to you and best wishes!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] You've got a very nice assortment of breeds. Eye candy? Check. Lots of eggs? Check. Enjoy and good luck with that bear!

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Hope that bear doesn't start causing you problems. Welcome to the site and good luck!!

8. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Iv seen 1 bear here in Highland..it was crossing the street right by my house. And iv seen acouple up at Minawaska (sp?) Iv never had any in the yard tho.

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by