Another new coop :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kullas, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Here is a couple of pics of my new coop. I still have to add 5 vent panels and a nest box but other than that its good to go just as soon and my little chicks gets a few more feathers well about 4 more weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I'm sure the chicks will love it. Nice to have the roof slope this much, looks good, nice sheltered space under the coop [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

How many chicks?

If you get heavy rains and winds can it be located in a sheltered place?

Nice job- is there wire on the base of the run? If not I'd add it to prevent predation. What is the gauge of the wire? 1/2" best for strenth and preventing coons/possums from reaching in.
    Be sure the entire coop is securely fastened down against wind.

We design so much for winter it's hard for me to wrap my head around a summer-driven coop! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  4. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i would definately put some 1/2" at the biggest hardware cloth around it.. chickens are dumb and will come to the wire to investigate something.. like a coon or possum and they can get their head removed or pulled through wire openings. other wise the coop is cute

5. Bard's Rock!

Bard's Rock! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Sure like that overhang.

And yes, you need to put some smaller wire, at least up to 2 feet high. A friend of mine just lost some chicks that were in a tractor with 2"x4" wire. I warned him, but he thought his dogs would be sufficient protection. Never take chances with the raccoons.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    beautiful but dont forget your harware cloth and apron for diggers.

7. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Nice little setup. Would be great for a little breeder setup.

8. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    thanks for the replys there are a couple more things i need to do but i got a couple more weeks. i plan on having 3 of these built side by side one for delewares one fororps and one for b rocks.
    the size is 8x12 should be good for 8 to 10 depends on how many hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by