1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another new duck!! Photos added

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gofasterstripe, Nov 21, 2010.

1. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Like I needed another..but
    I was at the Jockey Lot and saw her in a cage with 4 other ducks, she was the smallest and getting stood all over. She was in with Reuen (spelt that wrong)ducks and they were all bigger than her. She is very slight next to my Pekin ducks so im wondering if she is a white layer, or a white Magpie. She has smaller feet, slender neck and head and more slender body, she looks just like my white Magpie drake but smaller than him and he is smaller than my Pekin girls. She is an adult bird, all her adult feathers are in but I think she is 1 of this years babies, bright yellow honker and no she didnt lay an egg this morning so maybe shes just not old enough yet
    Sorry...no photos just yet, been busy getting the Christmas float decorated, will post photos in a day or so.
    So...my Question is. I know Pekins are big, but who would come next in size, the Magpie then the Layer or Layer, Magpie. Im just curious to know what she is because I dont think shes a Pekin at all.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Awesome! I don't have any answers, but I bet she and your white magpie are going to make some beautiful babies. [​IMG]

3. gofasterstripe

So...another Question. If and when she lays and shes bred to William will they have white Maggies or colored Maggies, or both?

4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    That's an excellent question and I don't know. Annarie has studied this more closely than I have--I believe she has a small flock of white magpies that she's planning to breed. My guess would be that if they are both white magpies, then they are both carrying some colored genes under the white and would, as a result, throw some colored babies along with white babies. But it's really just a (more-or-less educated) guess.

If the girl is a pekin or white layer or something else and carrying no color, I *think* some babies could still turn up with color but... I don't know. Aren't I helpful? [​IMG]

5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    P.S. If they end up with colored magpie babies... can I buy some?

6. gofasterstripe

Quote:[​IMG]
    Yes...your NOT very helpful [​IMG]. Oh well at least if I get all white duck ill just go the easy route and say they are Pekins
    And, yes If I get colored Maggies you have 1st dibbs on them.

7. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    pics!!!

8. gofasterstripe

Quote:I dont have pics of the white girl yet and if you look back in my posts you will see the white drake. the post is headed new drakes i think

9. gofasterstripe

OK...here are the pics...she is smaller than a Pekin and very refined like my white Magpie drake....do you think she is a Pekin, a white layer or a white Magpie

[​IMG]
    my white drake, blue runner drake and female white duck

[​IMG]

This is 2 of my Pekins a few weeks ago

[​IMG]

10. gofasterstripe

and just because...some other photos I took today

Tula
    [​IMG]

Sipi
    [​IMG]