Another new egg question

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
Our hens are a new addition to our family (we've had them a few months now) and this is my first experience with hens, so I have plenty of questions. One of our hens just started laying last week (our first eggs!!) and I swear she gives us the "chicken stink eye" when we go near her nest. We've only collected eggs twice, the first bunch we found by accident a couple days ago. She didn't go back to that "nest", we found today's egg on the opposite side of their fenced area. Are we imagining things, or is it possible that she's really not happy about us taking her eggs? If she really isn't happy about it, will she get over it eventually? Or is she going to keep moving her "nests" around the yard every time we collect eggs? Since they free range during the day it'll probably be hard to find the eggs!
smile.png

Thanks for the input, and for putting up with all my questions!
big_smile.png

I don't know for sure...but I would think that you should start to collect them every day. I think that has something to do with it. I think that way she will get the YOU get the eggs.

I hope others chime in.

I you empty the nest, she will keep moving it. Take the eggs and leave a ceramic "nest egg' and she will probably continue to lay there. Chickens can't count.

My girl did the same thing. I blew out the shells of a couple of eggs and put the shells in her second nest, and she never moved. So i could take the real ones, and she was still happy.

That's funny, my couldn't care less if there's one egg or 20 eggs, they will continue to lay there. The other day, though, I cleaned out the nest boxes and put new pine shavings in them, and they refused to lay in them until I left them a nest egg.

Back
Top Bottom