Another new face! Fresh blood!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aschrimp, Feb 24, 2012.

1. aschrimp

aschrimp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    So...my name is Andrea, we just moved onto 5 acres a couple months ago, and it has just so happened that 12 chicks are our first real foray into having a small farm! They are about a week only right now, and doing great.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Brand new - see above. We got them one week ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    12 chicks

(3) What breeds do you have?
    Americauna and Barred Rock mostly.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I was doing a web search for chicken coop plans. Right now the chicks are causing all manner of trouble in a brooder box in our entryway, so we need a coop build soon!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We are working on starting a big garden where no garden was before, saving an orchard that went a whole summer with no water, and fencing in pastures on 5 acres. I homeschool my kids, and work as a software developer. That doesn't leave much time for anything else! But when I have time, I love to read, write poetry, sing all sorts of music, hunt for frogs and snakes and interesting wildflowers, and pretend we are still living in the middle ages for a weekend (SCA).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I have a 6 year old son with aspergers, an almost 2 year old daughter without, a great dane-ish dog (mixed with something), and a toothless, clawless 15 year old diabetic cat who would very much like to eat the chicks for dinner, but sadly for him, and fortunately for the chicks, can't figure out how to do so with neither teeth nor claws. And a husband, Felix - can't forget him!

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know folks around here!

2. Qurus

Qurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Donna, Texas
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you're doing the same as I did. 5 acres, fence building, new garden, new to chickens.... Best of luck to you. It's a lot of work, but a lot of fun too.

3. aschrimp

aschrimp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Weird, I typed up an answer to question #6, but it got cut out. Anyway, it was this:

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I have a 6 year old son with aspergers, an almost 2 year old daughter without, a great dane-ish dog (mixed with something), and a toothless, clawless 15 year old diabetic cat who would very much like to eat the chicks for dinner, but sadly for him, and fortunately for the chicks, can't figure out how to do so with neither teeth nor claws. And a husband, Felix - can't forget him!

Thanks! I am looking forward to working on it all for a very, very long time. :)

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

7. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from southern Ohio!!!

8. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Great decision starting with chickens! You will love each one!

[​IMG]

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by