1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another New Mare/Updated pics of the 2 thin horses on pg 2.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jmhappycowboy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Was out taking some pictures of all the horses as well as 2 new ones and thought I would post them for everyone to see. I"ve posted the Paints pictures before but they are looking better now so thought I would post them again also.

The grey mare is a 6 yr old AQHA mare that I got yesterday from a bad situation where she wasn't being cared for and it shows, but it won't take long and she'll be a fat pretty girl here. Her registered name is Double L Ruby, (barn name is Shadow) She is also in foal to a Black Tobiano APHA stallion for a Feb/March foal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorrel welsh mare 16 years old she's a super gentle kids horse 13.2 hands tall. She's just been turned out in a pasture for the past 3 years with a filly that was born to her on Oct 07 and that filly was still nursing from her until 2 weeks ago when I got her. Got to get some weight on her also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is KitKat 10 yr APHA mare and she's definately showing that she's in foal. Due January 4th. She's in foal to Fax Black/White Overo.

[​IMG]

wide ended gal isn't she
    [​IMG]

Next is Nikki, she's a 11 yr old registered Half Arabian, she's also in foal to Fax but she's not showing like KitKat is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last but not least is Fax. APHA Black White Overo stallion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I think this is a pretty good shot of all the big horses.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Paints are sure pretty! The white horse looks the worst for weight to me and being pregnant. Glad you took them in.

3. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Gorgeous horses, I am loving your stallion! I wonder what he would produce from my highland pony mare, lol!

The rescued ones will soon be fat and shiny with you looking after them and i can't wait to see wee foalies next year! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

5. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    I love your stallion. I have an overo gelding as well. I love that coat pattern.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Not very many people like yourself would allow stallions with their mares which I think it makes a better stallion out of them, nature-wise.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    They are ALL beautiful!! I am so partial to paint horses, especially odd colored or marked ones. I like the colors of the stallion [​IMG] beautiful bunch of horses you got there!

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    They're all beautiful!

9. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Quote:EweSheep, I am a firm believer in letting my stallions run with my mares always have, and always will, because like you stated it does make a better stallion out of them nature wise. You let him get out of line with one of those gals and see just how quick she'll put him back in his place. My stallion is as gentle as a kitten and is so easy on the mares that its unbelievable, but I wouldn't have expected anything different from him since he is Mr my old stallions son and he was the same way. Also with the stallion running with the mares you have much less chance of any predator like coyotes or wild dogs which we have in an abundance around here attacking and killing a foal, my stallions have always been the one babysitting the foals while they are sleeping while the moms wonder off and graze, now thats a beautiful sight to behold the stallion standing there with all those babies on the ground around him sleeping.

Thanks everyone else for the compliments on my horses, I know the grey mare and the welsh mare are thin but they have just arrived at my place give me a little time and they will be as fat as the others.

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL that reminds me of when I worked on this performance horse ranch. We would turn out unruly, rambunctious teenage colts out with experienced broodmares and the mares WHOOPED the colts into shape! It was like horse boot camp [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by