Another New Member from Long Island

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Harborview Hens, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Harborview Hens

Harborview Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

After Sandy, getting my chickens have been a great distraction from the damage and rebuilding that needs to be done. The good news was that the run that I built withstood Sandy's wrath not so much for a tree which fell on my house. I was to pick up my chickens from Clark Farm Business in Higganum CT that Saturday. Unfortunately, the breeder lost 60 chickens from Sandy. My girls were list but she had younger chicks ton replace my pullets. I picked them up on 11/15. They were quite small and supposedly 10 weeks old. My son who has chicks the same age told me that his were about twice the size. I didn't mind as much since I figured that they might attach themselves to me better than an older chick.

I selected 5 different breeds, a buff orp, a light brahma, a speckled sussex, an aracauna and an australorp. I believe the last two are Ameracaunas but are ok with it. They are cute and are beginning to linger more when I enter instead of running away.

Looking forward to my new venture with my chickens and looking forward to meeting more Lon

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Enjoy your birds. Sandy spared us - well, we did lose power for 10 days, but no damage to the house.

3. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats and welcome, glad you came through the storm safe and sound. Enjoy your girls

4. Dahlisgrams

Dahlisgrams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    The Big Apple
    Welcome to BYC! I am so glad it wasn't worse for you! I'm so saddened by all of the loss that so many people experienced from Sandy. We were lucky and only lost some trees and a windshield plus a few birds, but it could have been much, much worse.

I'm currently hatching out chicks to give to people who've lost birds to the storm so if you know of anyone who still needs some, please send them my way. I'd like to help as many as I can and am just trying to get the word out. I have some eggs in the incubators now, just purchased a third incubator and will be running continuous hatches of various breeds for a while...

Best wishes for good bonding with your new birds! [​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Even as far west as here we had strong gale-force winds for days, really an amazing storm

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about the damage to your house. That was quite a storm.

8. DFamilyChicks

DFamilyChicks Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Bellingham, WA
    Welcome to BYC. Im sure you will find raising chickens to be a great source of joy. I love my birds.

God Bless you as you rebuild.

9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined. Prayers for your rebuilding and new chickens

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Harborview Hens, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I think it's cool you are getting some chickens after Sandy - hope it helps in getting everything back together! Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by