Another new member from Louisiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by seasue, Feb 19, 2013.

1. seasue

seasue New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Hello everyone!!

I am so eager to explore this site. I have had my 9 chickens for almost two years now, but consider myself a newbie. I am always fussing over them and worrying!! The locals consider a crazy city girl , trying o be a country girl making pets of her birds! I can't exactly contradict them.

I also got two baby turkeys in May, and one is now laying eggs of her own. Though I recently found out that her companion is also a female. I am very woried as Margie has taken to sitting on her eggs. She made a nest outside of the coop, in the garden shed. She hardly eats and is getting so thin. Sometimes the only thing I can get he to eat is a little scrambled egg or some chopped peanuts or spinach. Should I remove he from her eggs as they have not been fertilized?.
    Well yesterday, she went ouside for the first time in days. I was so happy, until I saw my other turkey, Pete (or should I say Miss Petey) attack her and chase her around. I managed to coax Margie out of the woods and put her back on her nest for her safetybut worry about future conflicts.

Will I need to find one a new home in order to protect the other?

2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky!! I have 3 turkeys sitting on a nest. They actually have some turkey eggs in their but there were also a bunch of chicken eggs. I removed the chicken eggs! If nothing hatches, I plan on taking a couple of chicks and a turkey poult and putting them under these girls to raise. I hope it works!!

[​IMG]

3. seasue

seasue New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    That's an interesting idea!! Have you tried it before? My husband actually mentioned something along those lines, except, i have always wanted guineuas, so he said I should get some guineau chicks. Do your turkeys get along? Mine used to be inseperable until Margie went off to sit on her eggs. Do sitting turkeys lose weight? Since I do not have a Tom, should I remove her eggs and try to get her over her broodiness? Do you also have chickens or other birds?

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC.
    I dont know much about turkeys but I currently have 5 silkie hens sitting on "golf balls" learning to be broody. I take them off the nest everyday and put them out with the other chickens so they can get a drink and a bite to eat. That seems to work for me. They dont stay off the nest for very long but while they are out they run around, eat, drink and occasionally dust bathe before darting back to their golf balls :) And they dont seem to have lost any weight.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Best to take the eggs away if they are not fertile, she will continue to loose condition and be at risk of becoming ill from malnourishment. Check on the Turkey thread for the best ways to break a broody turkey.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

9. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC howdy from Florida

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by