Another new member

austrianalps

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 6, 2008
West Virginia
Hello everybody. I am originally from Salzburg/Austria but ended up in West Virginia. I grew up on a farm and had livestock all my life. We finally left the city (in VA) 3 years ago and I have 4 acres of land again (juhu). I got 6 chickens last spring. Just a brown-egglayer-SoutherStates-order Mix breed, but to me they are perfect. All I need is campanionship and good eggs-they do GREAT.

Well, here is my gripe: my lovely husband is a cityboy (NEVER lived on a farm and can not eat meat he knew). Ever since the cold season started I have heard complaints every single day about how it is way to cold for the chickens outside. Our coop has ventilation but no draft. Temps never go really below 15 or so-and thats seldom. He insulated the coop for the winter and we put pineshavings, straw and hay down. He even put a thermometer in the coop. I found it never goes far below freezing. He just called me 5 minutes ago -AGAIN- that it is way cold tonight and what to do about the chickens. I really love the man, but he is driving me insane. He wants to put a heater out there now. I let him do whatever with the insulation and stuff, but now I will put my foot down. No heat source near flammable stuff.

Oy... sorry about the rant here..... :)

Do you have husbands/wifes like that? What do you do? *pulls-hair-out*

I know what ya mean...this isn't chicken related, but has to do with Christmas lights...I am married to Clark Griswald. I have learned to just let him go and if he wants to light up the county, oh well. We are quite infamous in our parts, lol.
Now when it comes to my critters, well I'm in charge and he knows better than to come "flexing" those muscles with me, lol. He's a city boy too, but he's learnin fast. Just keep that foot down girl!

welcome-byc.gif

nope......... nobody here would match that description!

Sounds like both you and your hubby will really enjoy this site!

welcome-byc.gif

He will eventually learn the chickens will be ok. The first time my dh saw a chicken molt, he thought it was sick and dying!

Back
Top Bottom