Another newbie and her coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by erinlee, Jun 18, 2010.

1. erinlee

erinlee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    Hello! I'm new to BYC, but so glad I found you guys! I've been lurking for a while, but finally decided to jump in and post now that I've almost got my coop done.

I managed to get a page done of my coop progress so far, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say. Anything I should change/add to make it better? All input is welcome as I am new to all of this! I'm anxiously awaiting my first chicks next week; I've got the brooder all ready for them and I can't wait! As my husband and I are going to be involved with building our new horse barn here pretty soon, I wanted to get the chicken coop finished now before we start that project so the girls will have a place to go when they outgrow the brooder.

I do need to put a big thanks out to nwmud and nwgirl here on BYC as I liked their coop so much that I pretty much copied it! I hope they don't mind. I really loved the looks of it though and it seemed to be just what I was looking for.

Here's a link to my page with all the details: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=60288

Here's
    a picture of it as well:
    [​IMG]

2. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    [​IMG] AWESOME!

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

OH I LOVE IT!!

I was just thinking how lame it is that in all my researching I never once thought of the traditional barn colors/style.

There's a great big DOH!

Yours is just cute as a bug... oh wait, the girls ate the bug... it's cute as a styrofoam peanu... errr... cute as a 2x4, that's what it is.

4. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    wow, so cute!! Nice job [​IMG] do the windows lock against raccoons etc?

5. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:I *hope* the girls wouldn't eat a 2x4.... [​IMG]

NICE WORK!!!

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Nice! You are going to probably want to expand your run in the future. More space=more chickies!!

Can't wait to see your horse barn!

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    That looks so good!! Great job!

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    That is fabulous. You have to be proud of yourself!! Love the stay hinges on the vents...gonna have to check into that. See, we all have something to learn from someone [​IMG]

9. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    What a very nice coop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. erinlee

erinlee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    Thanks everyone! I'm pretty proud of it, especially since I built it almost entirely by myself. My DH helped a little with holding pieces here and there and made a few cuts for me (I don't know why, but I hate the circular saw - table saw no problem LOL).

I don't have locks on the windows or vents to keep the raccoons out; but there is hardware cloth inside all openings to keep them out. Do you think locks are still needed?

Yes, I'll definately be adding a larger run once we get it moved to it's permanent location in a few months. This thing is terribly heavy though so I'm not looking forward to moving it again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by