Another newbie ? Different age chicks in brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new2chickens, Mar 4, 2008.

1. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Is it a good idea to keep different aged chicks in the same brooder?? There is a person I found on craigslist that is near me that has chicks. The ones I want are available 3/20 and 4/12. Will this age difference make it to where I will need 2 brooders?

Thanks,
    Sarah

2. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I'm not sure, but I would think the older chicks would peck the younger ones. Love your avatar roo! What kind is he?

3. new2chickens

Mar 2, 2008
  4. airmom1c05

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    It's supposed to be a good sign if you have a rooster who does the mating "dance". The actual mating is not as violent, or so I read. He's a handsome fellow!

5. new2chickens

Mar 2, 2008
    We have the 2 roos...this one flaps and drops a wing and is very gentle. the other one just grabs and jumps on, only to be knocked off by this one!
    I will keep the buff for atleast 2 more months or so...he needs a name..any suggestions??

Sarah

6. airmom1c05

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Dancer, naturally! [​IMG]

7. dozen chickens

dozen chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Western Colorado
    We got ours last year about a week apart, and my bigger girls pecked and bothered the babies immensely. We had them in a big horse watering tank, and we ended up seperating them by a wire divider that we made out of PVC and wire, so that they could see each other and be living in the same brooder but the little ones could be safe. To this day, they are ok together in the coop but they are at the bottom of the pecking order.

We got 6 chicks on Saturday, 4 more on Monday and I will be getting a few more tomorrow and I think I am going to try taking my older 10 out when I put the new ones in the brooder, and then I will add 1 of the older chicks at a time to see if that makes any difference. Just a thought! Who knows if it will make a difference but its worth a shot.

8. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I added my newest chicks in w/ my three 2 1/2 week olds and the older ones weren't to sure about the strange fuzzy things I'd moved into their house, but once they got use to them they seem to enjoy being big brothers (or hopefully sisters!)! I guess it just depends on the chicks.

I have some eggs due on Saturday and a few days after they hatch I plan to add them to the mix, if there are any issues I will rearrange things, but for now that is the plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by