Another newbie -- dire question re our rooster's frost bitten wattles

Pinetreelover

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Show Low, AZ
Our White Leghorn young rooster suffered from frost bite two nights ago. His comb and wattles were affected -- especially his wattles which are quite swollen. I have been applying Neosporin to his comb and wattles and he has been taken out of our barn and placed into our garage in an x-pen with a heat light and a pet carrier. He is unable to eat due to the swelling (I assume) so I have been giving him cooked oatmeal mixed with either romaine lettuce or apples cut up very small. I place the mixture inside his beak and he swallows it.
My question is for anyone who has gone through this before. Am I doing everything possible to help "Lawrence"? Should I be doing something else?
Thank you so much for any information you can give me.
Lawrence's mom

First of all,
welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like you are doing what you need to. Hope he gets better soon.

Welcome!

I've moved this to Emergencies/Disease/Injuries and Cures.

You can do a search though this section for what others have done with frostbit rooster combs. If they are so bad he does not want to eat, you may consider dubing. Dubing is basically removing the comb and wattles, to get all the frost damaged tissue off. It may be a bit tough to do, but if your roo comb/wattles are badily damaged, it will be less painful in the long run, will prevent infection from settting in, and he can resume life without risk of future frost bite!

These may be helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=115876
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113768

Thank you all for your kind replies and your welcoming me to your forum. A special thanks to silkiechicken for the websites. I visited both and found some interesting information.

This is my first time using a "forum", and find that the BYC can be a very useful tool.

Thank you again for your very swift replies.

FYI: Our home is filled with my hubby, two grandchildren, three dogs, six cats, two horses, two pygmy goats, and four chickens (one Leghorn rooster -- Lawrence; one Aracauna hen -- Dolly; and two Buff Orpington hens -- Lizzy and Summer).

Thanks Silkiechicken. I have modified my profile to show that we live just outside Show Low, Arizona (at approximately 6400 elevation). We had a temperature a couple nights ago, when this happened, of 0 degrees. This coming week we are to be in the single digits, so all chickens are in the enclosed garage in carriers during the night time.

I will also try to get a picture posted of our rooster and his swollen wattles.

Again, thank you for your knowledge and help.

Opa -- thanks for the information. I am only using regular Neosporin on our rooster. I read where Polysporin was what I should use, but didn't have that, so opted for the Neosporin.
Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom