1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another newbie question about housing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mvinotime, Jan 4, 2015.

1. mvinotime

mvinotime Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Hi. Brought home my four Pekins this morning. They are great! They are a little over two mos old. They were pretty easy to herd into their new house tonight I just have a question about that. It's 4x6 and we put vent holes covered with hardware cloth all the way around it and I'm wondering if this is adequate for ventilation since they are locked in there all night. I did not put the food and water in there in an attempt to keep it clean. I'm unsure how to load photos on this site to show you how it looks. Just want to make sure they are all good in their cozy house at night. ;) Thank you

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I forgot what season it is for you now.

This may not seem helpful, but you need to do all you can to see for yourself. This could mean an indoor-outdoor thermometer that you can read from outside the house (with the wire inside), checking on them every few hours, a nursery monitor, something like that.

3. mvinotime

mvinotime Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Oh that's a good idea but my concern isnt the temperature it's that they are receiving adequate ventilation. Should I be checking for a specific humidity? And we are currently winter....right now lows about 40-45 at night and highs in 60's. We don't get too many nights below freezing luckily.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would be checking the bedding, the walls and ceiling first thing in the morning - look for condensation, moisture in the bedding, that kind of thing.

Watch their breathing, too, see how they look in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by