Another newbie question Maryland

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by sesa, Mar 28, 2009.

1. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    I don't have chickens yet but I was told that I need to register with the state of Maryland to keep chickens on my property, is this right?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I think they are refering to NAIS, which is spose to be volantary, but is being pushed hard. I have a couple chickens, and have never registered, they say the registration is for emergency contacting, but I dont trust the Gov, and figure they will find a way to use that list to add an extra tax.

3. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    NAIS, from a Federal standpoint is voluntary; however state laws vary, and those that support the concept of NAIS tend to do so very fullheartedly.

5. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    How much does that cost? I have had chickens for a few years and never knew about it. They are just a backyard/pet flock. I'm not selling them or showing them. Would I still need to do this? My husband is a bit on the "conspiracy theory" side and would be skeptical about it. As he is with a lot of gov't things![​IMG]

6. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Quote:Oh this is the best part, it is completely free, until............. I would say trust your husband he has every right to be suspicious of NAIS registration, right now its Voluntary, until they decide to Mandate it. Have you ever heard "Were with the government and were here to help" and not been suspiciuos?

7. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Quote:Just read that, I guess it is Mandatory, well I guess they better start tracking me down now. [​IMG]

8. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    [​IMG] Yeah, there are so many farms out here that how could they know which roo is crowing?? LOL! Granted if they are at a farm, they are registered. I'll be hiding with you! [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If I remember correctly, in Maryland ALL birds have to be registered--including parakeets, canaries, finches, parrots, etc. They are one of the states that jumped into NAIS full heartedly, and since it is a state law, it is not voluntary.

My info may be outdated--that was when NAIS was relatively new on the scene, and not too long after the avian influenza epidemic scare began sweeping the nation. (as if we don't have enought REAL things to worry about)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by