1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

another newbie saying 'hello'

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DallasDad, Dec 14, 2011.

1. DallasDad

DallasDad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Hello from Dallas, TX. I've been lurking and learning for a couple of months now, enjoying your posts. We're smack in the middle of town, which in Dallas means "suburban." We're in the process of building a coop/run and we're planning to get our first pullets this weekend from Dan at Bageniece Farms via Northhaven Gardens. Not sure if we'll start with 3 or 5. I hear a lot about "chicken math" and even though we don't have any girls yet, I think I am beginning to understand... Anyway the coop/run is going to be a BIG a-frame, kind of like an oversized tractor that won't move around (much). Footprint is 8'x16'. I have it all framed out and just got most of the hardware cloth up tonight. I'm hoping to get the siding on the open-air coop portion in the next couple days after work. When I have enough posts, I'll post some photos. It is an unusual design, so I'll be curious to see how it actually works out! Thanks for sharing all of your stories and insights with us newbies. See you around...

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello! [​IMG] from Australia. I just have to say... I've never been, but Dallas is one of the first places I'd visit if I were ever to go to the States. [​IMG]
    Looking forward to seeing pics of your coop! My coop is just a big metal shell... so I like seeing other people's designs. [​IMG]
    Hope you find everything you need on the forum. [​IMG]

3. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

4. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    [​IMG]

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Welcome to BYC forum....

It sounds like you have everything under control. Have fun with your new flock!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. DallasDad

DallasDad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome y'all!
    Ray, what on earth would inspire you to come to Dallas first on a trip to the States?! (I guess it really isn't a bad place, but the grass is always greener! [​IMG])
    I'll post photos when I can. It is a bit fancier than a simple shell, but then this is (sub)urban, and these are going to be yuppie chickens (there is just no getting around it)!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] from Waco, Tx

9. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

Warning: BYC can become seriously addicting!! [​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!
    Sounds like your off to a go start! Enjoy!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by