Another Newbie to Peafowl.

chickintexas

Songster
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Spring Branch
I just acquired two Spalding peachicks and I'm super excited about this new venture! I got them both from a local breeder that's been overwhelmed with her peafowl and gave me one that was weak due to an assisted hatch and it's doing awesome now. The other was an egg in the process of hatching that she gave me because she was afraid that she would need to assist in it's hatching. One of them is already "displaying" for the other peachick! Funny, funny stuff!
She also gave me 6 eggs. A couple were 15 days old so I'm wondering what their chances are of developing. She's had them in a very cool bedroom of her house and she told me she had been turning them every day. I placed all of them into the incubator so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that most will develop.
I am learning very quickly that peafowl are nothing like chickens! I think because of their slower development that they are much more attached to mom so I have in turn become "mom" to my little guys. Everyone in the house let's me know when they are calling for me.
smile.png
I go to the brooder and baby them. Boy, they sure are going to be spoiled!
I was thinking about giving them some treats besides their feed when they hit a week old. Any suggestions?
Any other hints, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

as for 15 days, a lot of peahens lay every other day, and wont set until they have 5-6 at least, so 6 eggs every other day is 12 days... you should be fine with them.... good luck!!!!

they are SSSOOO sweet as babies... my adults i had i got as adults, and the baby i have now is one if theirs i hatched, so this is my first peachick... and she has a little poult friend, they're soo funny... the poult is all mellow and lazy and the pea is all spaztic and energy...
i'm hoping to get a few more chicks.. i need to post an add at the hardware store....

good luck with your babies and their sibling eggs....

I currently have my peachicks with my 3-one week old Silkies and my newly hatched chicks as of today. Is it true that it's a bad thing to raise peas with chickens? I'm planning on purchasing an additional brooder just for the peachicks but the Silkies and the Peachicks are already so attached to each other. I had to separate them from each other today and the Silkies had a fit!
Will it be okay if I give the peachicks some mealworms this week? They will be just over a week old.

Last edited:
I went ahead and separated all the boogers today. The peachicks are in their own private condo along with their own individualized feed. One of them squawks so much that as of today, I allowed them to follow me around the house just to shut them up! No one ever told me that they can be so dang noisy at such a young age!!!I placed a heating pad under their brooder just so I can turn off the brooder lamp and they could sleep through the night without getting peepy at 2 am! Or 4am...or 6 am.......
Thanks ,Evonne, for your info on how often peahens lay. That gives me a ton of hope! I'll be candling this weekend and find out for sure how good they were. I have a feeling that many will be good. I'll keep you all posted.

Back
Top Bottom