another newbie - what a surprise! LOL!

goonybird

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? New to chickens, haven't gotten them yet, still have to build a coop

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? None yet

(3) What breeds do you have? None yet

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? not sure <G>

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? quilting, reading, reaping the harvest, movie nights

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Married, we live on 18 acres in west-central Louisiana, 3 kids (32, 22, and 17, youngest 2 still at home), 5 dogs, 1 granddogger, homemaker/small business owner (hubby repairs golf carts), , hubby tends large garden, large pond getting smaller every day due to severe drought, and I Facebook too much. LOL!

Welcome!!! hurry up and get your coop built! chickes are so much fun!!!
welcome-byc.gif

oh you don't have any yet!! Let me tell you, they are ssoooooo much fun.
wee.gif
They do the silliest things, when mine where chicks we would just watch them for hours and their soft peeps would put you to sleep . They are soooo soft and fuzzy and will fall asleep in your hand all warm and cozy while you rub their little fuzzy backs. When they are warm they lay face down in their brooder like a little fuzzy carpet..sometime's they will kick another one in their sleep and the one kicked will jump up and run around! lol You can give them cheese....they love cheese!!! Then when they get big enough to go in their coop they learn to dust bathe! They will also chase each other around like little dinosaurs and run with their wings flapping and yellow legs going! Plus look at all the shapes and colors they come in!!! ok.. so yes i a am an enabler and i am completely addicted to chickens.. but you know what? I am not the only one!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

yippiechickie.gif

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just signed up today too! But I'm a bit ahead of you I got my chicks about 5 weeks ago and let me tell you, don't get too many starting out because you will want to add and add and add to your flock!!!!!! Chickens are so much fun, I can't wait for you to experience all of the fun things they do!

Thanks to everyone's comments - hopefully real soon we'll have the coop ready! I'm looking forward to it. We're debating where to put it. <G>

Well if you'd like advice, it's good to put in somewhere rain can run downhill and away from the coop, that way your chickens don't have to trudge through puddles and worse, mud! It would also be a good idea to put it under a tree to give the birds shade (that is if you plan on making a run). And if you don't want to worry about carrying feed and water to the coop in all types of weather, I'd put your coop close to resources (electricity, water, a shed, etc.)
I also hear chicken tractors are a good idea especially if you want them to help eat and fertilize the ground. I personaly have a set chicken coop (that doesn't move), although it would be nice to have a chicken tractor to put them in once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom