1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by carsonstutz, May 15, 2016.

1. carsonstutz

carsonstutz New Egg

May 15, 2016
    Kansas
    Hey all! My wife and I recently bought some golden comets (14weeks old) and BYC was suggested to us from a cousin who visits the forums a lot! We were wondering when we can expect to look for eggs? I've heard GCs start laying anywhere from 14-18 weeks. Can anyone confirm this? Also, should we look for eggs out in the fenced run we have or will they stick to laying the the nesting boxes? We have 5 hens and 3 boxes in the coop. Thanks for any help!

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    :welcome

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

At first it may be a little hit and miss as to where they decide to lay their eggs, but i would have thought that as long as the nest boxes are suitable, they should use them. Just before a pullet begins laying her comb and wattle will redden and she will begin to squat when you approach her. They also tend to show interest in the nesting boxes.

Best wishes
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can also put a couple golf balls in the nest boxes, to give them the idea where eggs should go.[​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I use golf balls in the nest box for new to be layers. :)

I always have a comet..or a Red Sex Link as they are called here. I've had them start as early as 4 months. Love it, and once they get going, oh man, do you get the eggs. I have one out there now that lays me an egg a day. She will miss once every other week, if that. I hatched her, she isn't from a Feed Store, so hoping she lays for several years.

Hey! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. micah wotring

micah wotring Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]and[​IMG]

MW

8. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    You have already gotten excellent advise, so I will just say welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by