Another newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sprayone, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Sprayone

Sprayone Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2017
    Hi, everyone. I have been watching back yard chickens for some time now. Mainly, looking at all the great coop ideas. For you see, I decided last year to get back into gardening again after leaving my beautiful two and half acre home-site and garden in Florida twenty seven years ago. I tried to start a garden where I am now, but, just couldn't do it for various reasons.
    But, retirement is coming and I need a garden again. So, I have almost finished my new coop and run. I will get the pictures up on it shortly. Don't have any chickens yet, but, they are coming from my wife's niece. She has several she is willing to part with for me to get started. Need the coop and it needs being secure first.
    I have been eating pasture feed eggs for months and i can not wait to have my own. Stay in touch and we will begin a new adventure on our 1/2 acre homestead.

Junochick and KikisGirls like this.
  2. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2017
    US
    Welcome to the group!

3. ChickEchick

ChickEchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    Looking forward to the Pictures....

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. Great to hear about your plans - best of luck.
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

7. PatrickRoo

PatrickRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    :welcome

8. Sprayone

Sprayone Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2017
    Thank you KikisGirls. I watched that film last year and it got my blood flowing again! I love Paul's ideas and since he has been doing it for many years, he has proven it works. I have viewed everyone of L2Survive's video's on Paul's garden. Wow! That is exciting.

I also view multiple vlog's that start with Appalica's Homestead on the east coast all the way to Starry Hilder's channel. I wish I could retire now, like right now, and do nothing else but farm.

KikisGirls likes this.
  9. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    BYC has a sister site you may like too
    www.theeasygarden.com
    There are some really knowlegeable gardeners over there, very helpful people.

10. Sprayone

Sprayone Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2017
    Thank you. That looks very interesting.

I have built seven 4 x 8 raised beds last year and have a 13 x 20 BTE garden in the yard. Just like in Florida, I am having to build up my soil with compost. Hoping the chickens can help with the composting too. We just bought the 1/4 acre lot next door to expand our homestead. So, we are now on our way to trying to be self sufficient. My wife doesn't see things the way I do, but, at least she agreed to help me get the lot. Now she wants to put in an outdoor kitchen and seating area for guest in the lot. (It is on the big water of a huge beautiful lake. My work is cut out for me to clear it and get it ready for a permaculture garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by