BarefootinTN

Songster
Jul 23, 2014
First time chicken owner here. I wanted to start out with 6 female. My husband talked me into ordering 18 girls and 2 boys. Placed the order several months ago and they came 2 weeks ago. 23 were shipped but only 2 survived the plane flight. Perhaps the altitude temps were too cold? Anyway, the 2 survivors are doing fine @ 2 weeks old. I’m keeping them inside under a brooder heater. Since cooler weather is upon us, my question is: How old do they need to be before I put them outside in the coop?

jmns

Don’t look back, you’re not going that way.
Premium Feather Member
May 5, 2020
On a rock in the Pacific
Welcome to the forum! So sorry you lost so many of your chicks. Many helpful threads here where you can look up chick care and many other topics. Full time outside all depends on your outside temperatures and other factors. Generally speaking six weeks.😊

Starburst

Free Ranging
May 25, 2020
Western Washington
Hi, and a belated welcome to BYC! :frow
I'm so sorry for your losses. :hugs
You generally want to wait until your chickens are fully feathered, but as said before, it depends on several factors. I would recommend introducing your chicks to the outdoors for a while for short periods of time before moving them out full time, though. :)

Top Bottom