1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yinzerchick, Jun 13, 2011.

1. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Hi everyone! I've been reading the BYC for about a year now, there is so much great information on here!
    I am new to chickens, I have never even been around them before, but owning a flock was part of my plan. I jumped in with both feet and got my first 26 chicks on 3/27/11. I have RIRs, Barred Rocks, Araucanas, Gold Lace Wyandottes, and Red Stars. 24 hens, and 1 rooster, then they throw in a free rare breed, which turned out to be a Polish Buff Crested rooster. They're 11 weeks old and seem to be doing really well.
    We, my husband and me, relocated to E. Texas from Pittsburgh PA. (The kids are grown and gone now)

We arrived with our dog Kate, a shepherd/lab mix, 11 years old, and Choo Choo, our tabby/calico cat, 15 years old. Today, we also have 2 sweet nubian goats, Thelma and Louise, 3 onery Donkeys, Pearl, Ruby and Opal, a pretty black stray cat that showed up, Boo, and now her 4 kittens (almost 4 months old now) Crash, Little Bear, Hobbes and Ting Ting. I couldn't bare to seperate them...I also promised they would be outside cats, but right now they are all laying on our bed in the air conditioning because I think it's too hot out for them.[​IMG]

I have 26 more chicks arriving mid July, and I am hoping to start getting some eggs in the next month or two. I'm learning as I go, and this site has really helped me. I hope I can maybe help out another newbie sometime. I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how. Looking forward to chatting with fellow chicken lovers!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

What a wonderful little animal family you have! That's quit an adventure to make such a a big move! How exciting! So glad you finally joined ,. I look forward to your pics,.. you will have to post for a while before you can get them on,. but not long,..

here's a How To for pics

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=427634

[​IMG]

4. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, yinzerchick and welcome from Ohio!

I'll bet you won't miss these "up north" winters! Sounds like you're having a great time with the chickens and other animals. You sure did jump right in! You'll soon have 50 chickens! I start to panic if I get over 20, and I have 24 right now.......I want to keep them all but I will have to re-home a handful of them.....Or else build a huge barn! [​IMG]

Take care and glad you joined!

Sharon

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. 4-H chicken mom