Another northern member steps in; hello form Alaska!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AkRanger, Aug 21, 2013.

1. AkRanger

AkRanger New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Hello!

I was born onto a ranch, and now that I've built a small army for a family, I'm trying to make my way back to that lifestyle.

I live in Palmer, Alaska. Our family home is Myself and wife, my mother, and 7 children!

I apologize to those of you who are strictly pet-chicken owners; I'm here to learn how to feed my army.

I've done quite a bit of reading in here already, but I will have tons of questions.

I look forward to learning as much as I can, and I will be seeking out those of you that are my neighbors for a beer or some coffee and some chicken wisdom.

I need to build a coop and find feed sources & plan ideas. I'll be raising layers and dinner birds. I've got a wholesome preference when it comes to food, so it'll be interesting to see how I can manage non-GMO with breeds and the feed available to us on the island of Alaska.

Cheers!

Matthew

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, AKRanger, and [​IMG]! Best of luck with your farm and chickens!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] have you gone to "where am I, where are you," sub forum to locate and post on your state thread?

6. AkRanger

AkRanger New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Not yet, but certainly will; thanks!

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. k9eagle

k9eagle New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Matthew,

I hear ya with the dinner birds and the non gmo it is awesome. Well any way what breed are you going to use for the meat birds?
    Or will you get the dual purpose birds for the meat or both the meat birds and dual purpose birds?

My self I tried the cornish rock cross which are ready for butcher atr 6-8 weeks they weigh out between 4-6 lbs for butchering the older they get the tougher the meat so for soup birds i went to the 8 week more meat but for broiling or to break the meat down to legs, breast, thighs, and wings now that i know right at the 6 week mark for tender meat.

I butchered my 25 cornish rocks this way i did 7 at 6 weeks , 8 at 7 weeks and the rest at 8 weeks to try the difference of meat ,tender and how much meat would be on them it just
    depends on how youwant to use the meat for different meals.

I will be trying the dual purpose birds rir once the end there laying cycle but for now i will be using the cornish rocks for meat. I have been told that the Rode island reds have more flavor so we will see. i am tring to homestead as much as i can and grow as much food as possible.

One other thing that i found out is the antibiotics that you can by to give to ur birds you will not need if you are trying to stay away from the gmo's
    use herbs in place of the antibiotics each herb has a different effect on the bird ands i done this with mine they wound up with runny mucusy stool and put in some basil and mint and the next day well the stool was normal so hope this helps. Hopefully i will be joining you in Alaska soon. Love Alaska that is where my heart is The Last Frontier.

Good Luck
    K9Eagle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by