Another Not Laying in the Nest Box Post

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChooksinChoppers, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    My DD's silkies started laying back on the 11th...well one was laying the 2nd one joined in a few days later.
    Previous to the said laying they had a sturdy cardboard box with "edges" on top (that made it seem more private) and the front side open, with some alphalfa hay in it. So thats where they started laying. 3 days ago I noticed this box was getting really dirty and replaced it with an open tray type kitty litter box and used some shredded newspaper and paper hamster bedding. Nope they didnt like that and started laying in the pen. Got a larger plastic tub and layed it on it's side with litter box slipped in so more like a proper nest box with sides and a "roof" Nope...not good enough..still laying in run. Arrrrgh! I didnt really like the hay because of the bugs and don't really want to go back to it. Any ideas? What's up with these picky hens?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think it's more that they like laying in a box with a roof. Since they're silkies, they might even lay in a large bucket, resting on it's sides.....I use wood shavings in my nest boxes, which is very easy to keep clean.

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:Yes that was my understanding also....so if they prefer a roof (which they now have) ...why lay out in the open? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by