1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another one bites the dust..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lucysmom002, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I posted last week or two weeks ago at most.. hen was showing signs of Marek's. She was weak in the legs but still walking. I've been leaving her be so she can rest. Well today, she is laying out there in the coop with her legs in a full splits. Husband will take care of her when he gets home. She is another one that was vaccinated from Mc Murray.
    I gave her antibiotics thinking maybe it was botulism from pumpkins. She is worse. I wish I had time to run her to the vet for necropsy, they send them out in the am and I can't make it there today or tomorrow.

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I thought mine had Mareks and it turned out to be e. coli. Take her temp and if she's got a temp it's NOT Mareks. That's what my vet said when I took one of mine in. The problem is it could be a bazillion things in a Marek's vaccinated chick before it's Marek's.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would wait till she has a few symptoms of Marek's, or another chicken starts with the same symptoms before I would jump to that conclusion. If she's still walking , that's a good sign

4. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Jay put her down on Friday, she was laying doing the splits and hadn't eaten in a few days. She was thin. Today he put down by big black beautiful Black Cochin rooster, Sam. He had a bad leg for a few weeks and stopped eating this weekend. I checked him today, he had lice crawling all over him too. He didn't have them before. It seems the lice attack when they are weak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by