Another Oyster Shell Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Godsgrl, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I bought a bag of OS at TS yesterday. It says it is Grit, and on the top says Crushed Granite. The brand is Nutri Source. On the back, it says "to develop healthy nutrition in chicks."

The #1 ing. is Oyster Shell. It has 10% calcium. I want to make sure it is okay to feed this to my hens, as it says to feed to chicks up to 10 weeks of age. Plus my roo will have access to it, although I don't know that he would eat it. Thanks for all replies!

2. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    You bought chick grit, not oyster shell. I have the same stuff. The oyster shell is usually in the same or higher shelf.

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:What is the difference between that and the oyster shell I should have gotten? Can I still use it? Thanks

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Oyster shell is much larger, lighter and softer. It breaks down and is absorbed
    faster by the hens. Grit sits in their crops or gizzards(don't know which) and
    grinds up their food so even if it does have the same calcium content it takes
    much longer to break down.

We put out both grit and shell. Most grit is granite, also high in calcium.

I've been just as confused. I've only figured it out by reading the bags and
    watching them eat the stuff. My hens love the shell.

When you get the real oyster shell your gonna be surprised how large the stuff
    is.

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thanks Purplechicken for the information!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Basically grit is rocks they use to digest, and oyster shell is for calcium. The rooster will peck at grit and be fine, but will avoid the oyster shell. The hens also don't really eat much shell till they get going in their laying thing either. They seem to know when they need it.

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thanks Silkie Chicken, I appreciate your reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by