Another Oyster Shell question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GPowell, Jan 26, 2014.

1. GPowell

GPowell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    I have and can get whole pices of oyster shells anytime I want for free. I rather get the oyster shells for free and put in a little work to crush them up then to buy a 10 dollar bag from tractor supply. The question I have is can I in fact crush the shells up myself and feed them to my hens? I couldn't find a answer for this anywere on the internet.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes you can crush them and use them for the chickens. How do you think you are going to do it?

3. GPowell

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    A hammer would be a good start and some sort of durable heavy duty bag of some kind......maybe my wifes purse.

4. GPowell

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    Would I need to sanitize them by putting them in an oven first? They kinda have a pungent smell to them

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I don't know about baking or washing them. I heard that someone was going to try putting them in a bag and run over them with a car or truck to break them up. I don't recall how that worked out.

6. GPowell

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    I think a hammer or mini sledge would work better. I'll let you kno how it turns out.

7. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Oyster shell as bought at the feed store is not processed from the oysters harvested for human food.
    I would worry about botulism or some other form of food borne illness if there was still some tissue with the shells.
    Some time in the sun and rain should help sanitize the raw shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by