1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another person drawn to this obsession.. Here we go

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yippee, Aug 26, 2014.

1. yippee

yippee New Egg

Aug 25, 2014
    Hello all, just thought i would stop by and introduce myself. I have been gardening the last couple of years, and really enjoy the fresh of the vine food that it supplies. It's still a work in progress, each year i try to increase/better the garden than the year before. With the garden fever in full swing, it naturally led me to wanting to produce more of my own food. As an avid egg eater, what better step to take next than to start my own flock of hens? I almost jumped off and bought some chicks this year, but decided to hold off until i could spend more effort/money on building them the right setup. With the improvements i had in mind for the garden this year, i thought it would be a smart choice to hold off - and i'm glad i did. With all but some minor tweaks to the garden done, that leaves me being able to put my attention for next year into my chicken planning. I've been doing lots of reading and plan to do a ton more, yet i still have a million questions it feels like.

I am a Texan, born and raise - and wouldn't want it any other way. Some people complain about the heat, some complain about the cold (i know, ours is nothing compared to others), some people complain about the always changing weather - i love it all. The changing weather keeps you on your feet, makes me really enjoy each day for its own special reason. I am from the DFW metroplex and live in a big city - which has its ups and downs. Don't have a lot of land to use, have city ordinances about how many hens i can keep, etc. But on the other hand the predators most people have to watch out for are nowhere to be seen where i'm at. Either way, i'm going to try to make the best of where i am.

As far as the chickens go, i read that i should strive for 10 sq ft of run per chicken and 4 sq ft of coop per chicken - sound about right? I'm looking to start with probably 4-6 hens to get started, so i'm thinking a 6' x 10' run with an attached 6' x 4' coop - sound reasonable? The run will be completely covered on all sides, including the bottom just for safety precautions (don't wanna take any chances). My goals are good egg production, something both heat (>100°F) and cold tolerant (<32°F), and relatively quite (if at all possible) to keep my neighbors impact to a minimal. I have a few chickens i have been looking at and would love your input on these breeds and how they would do in my situation. A few of the ones i was looking at were the Barred Plymouth Rock, Black Australorp, Lavender Orpington, White Leghorn, and White Plymouth Rock. Any pros/cons on any of these? Is it best to do all one type of chicken per group or is it okay to do say 2x Barred Rock, 2x Black Australop, and 2x White Rock? I of course like the idea of having a few different types of chickens running around together, but if that gets into more trouble than it's worth i can narrow it down to just one breed.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this if you have gotten this far. I look forward to getting to know you all and become a part of this awesome community!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    I think the 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop is perfect! I personally LOVE Australorps.
    My Australorp is 16 weeks old and is very sweet thus the name Sweetie Tweetie aka Sweetie.
    Glad you've joined the flock!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

4. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Welcome to BYC!!!!!! My flock of seven hens consists of seven different breeds, so one of each. They get along just fine. I don't think they see a difference in each other, aside from who is on top of the pecking order and who is lower. That amount of space sounds fine for the number of hens you are looking for. Good luck and ask as many questions as you'd like!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I think you have been planning well! You have a good sized coop and run, and you have picked out some good heat tolerant breeds! Great layers too!

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots more good articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make sure to use hardware cloth on all external parts of the coop and run. (you can use chicken wire on the insides only if you need to).

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

6. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    welcome to our flock,sound's as if you have a good plan and you've gotten some great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Chickens of similar types will usually get along fine with each other even if they aren't the same breed or color, ie the heavy brown egg layers that you mention like the Rocks and Aussies/Orps should be fine together, the White Leghorn would be the odd breed out in that list, they are usually smaller, flightier and noisier though exceptional layers... you might want to consider Easter Eggers for the fun green eggs. Not sure if you have seen the Breeds section, a lot of the reviews mention temperament/ noise etc www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
    With coop size the 4/10 is a good starting point, bigger is usually better if you can, and might as well build bigger than you think you want right now, seems like 110% of chicken owners wind up getting more chickens than they originally planned.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hello and welcome to the BYC flock. You coop and run size and protection from preds seems spot on. Our weather is also very changeable and I like that - too much of any one thing is boring fast. If you have any hatching plans for the future you may want to get fewer birds, so you could keep some of the chicks, to grow out.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck and you are on the right track![​IMG]

10. SMonroe1990

SMonroe1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    New York
    [​IMG] If it helps any I have EEs and they are quiet. When I am outside I cannot hear them at all from any point in my yard, not even as I'm getting closer to the chicken coop. I only really hear them when I am right on top of the coop and they come running over to the side of the run to see if I brought them treats. I can't comment on any of the other breeds as I only have a 5 week Australorp out of the ones you listed. The second batch of chicks I ordered I ordered one of 6 different breeds, so you can always mix it up more than just 2 of a breed. Good luck on getting your chicks next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by