Another Pip Wrong End?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Book, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Book

Book Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    I was just reading the other thread about a chick pipping at the wrong end. The outlook some mentioned isn't good.

Right now I have a hatched chick wobbling around and was cuddled up with this egg, then I noticed a chip missing from the egg, on the wrong end. My question is, could the hatched chick have done it do you think?

Sorry, this photo sucks. I am not opening the bator so I am really limited in what shots I can get of life in there right now.

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  3. Book

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    Thank you so much for the link! I am now certain it is a pip at the wrong end as the chick has not been near that egg and the whole is now bigger. I can't even fathom assisting it right now, it was the second to pip so it is really early. I think I will give it 18 hours before thinking to help it.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

6. Book

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    Thank you both so much. At this point, we are about 12 hours after Pip with that egg and 2 others. Only one chick has hatched. I think because of this I am going to wait and see what happens for the next 12 hours. I feel really patient with that egg.

The others though.... they need to hurry up! LOL

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Patience is good! I hope the chick manages to hatch without assistance. But if needed don't worry about it. Sally's guide will tell you what to do.

8. Book

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    Ok tried to help egg E out as it pipped at the wrong end over 24 hours ago. Sadly I hit a vein and it bleed just a bit. As the membrane is not dried out I cupped the egg in a damp paper towel and put him back in the bator to wait and see. Poor guy. My 13 year old daughter and I feel terrible about the blood. Today is the start of day 22.

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If it didn't bleed too much it's o.k. Good idea wrapping it in the paper towel and letting it rest. If there's blood it's not ready to come out yet.
    Now chip away a little more of the shell, but be careful you don't break the inner membrane any more. Dampen it with a little water and check if it's clear and if the blood vessels are still visible. Once that inner membrane is clear and there is no more blood you can continue. Have you looked at Sally's article? There are pics showing what it should look like.

10. Book

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    I must have read Sallys page at least 20 times now. I am so thankful for it.

I think my issue is that there seems to be no difference between the inner and outer membrane with this chick, it is almost as if I could chip off all the shell without an issue, it is the membrane that does not seem to be absorbing yet. Going to give it another hour, then dampen the membrane and see what the blood vessels are doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by