1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

another playhouse to coop construction

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cannsyl, Sep 23, 2015.

1. cannsyl

cannsyl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2015
    So I have a couple questions. I have this house
    [​IMG]
    Do you think it will be ok for 7 hens if I attach it to a 6x10 dog kennel? I was going to repaint it add hardware cloth to the openings except the bay windows I was going to build nestbox there and put in a couple roosts. Does that sound ok. They would most likely get some free range yard time in the afternoons after work when I could watch them.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably not big enough for 7...maybe 3-4.

What are the dimensions?
    What is your climate?

Hard to attach things (protective mesh, roosts, nests) to that plastic,
    unless you're a very determined and skilled DIYer.

Try reading some threads from this search:
    advanced search>titles only> plastic playhouse

3. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    I'm gonna guess it is about 3' square ... so two chickens ... you would be much better served to just build one from scratch, than trying to modify that molded plastic house, that really is not very predator secure either ... as aart said, it would be a pain trying to attach stuff to it, you don't want them jumping into the nesting box, and having it fall out! That plastic is no a very strong base to just put a screw into, like a 2X4 would be ...

4. cannsyl

Sep 22, 2015
    Ok I'll look into building one from scratch. I live in texas so weather isn't usually a problem. I just thought since I had the large (6x10)dog run they would just need somewhere to stay dry. I saw all the converted ones and thought it might work out.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. 123RedBeard

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
  6. cannsyl

Sep 22, 2015
    No I live near austin. I knew I would need ventilation. I want them to be comfortable so I'll start planning to build one. I still have a couple months or so before they will need it. They won't get here until the end of october.

7. cannsyl

Sep 22, 2015
    How big would the coop need to be with a 6x10 run? Should it be 6x4...someone elsewhere told me that was pretty big for 7 hens?

8. 123RedBeard

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    For seven hens 6X5 would be the minimum, although 6X6 would be better ... Size does depend on breed, size of chicken and temperament ...

Are you planning on having a elevated coop inside of the dog run, so they can run around underneath of it in the shade and away from the rain?

Or are you planning on putting the coop next to the dog run, with a little doorway for them?

A 6X10 run is also gonna be kinda small for seven hens ... Could you cut back the order to only six? Or to you plan on them running around in your yard some everyday?

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's two very good articles linked in my signature about Space and Ventilation...a good place to start reading.

10. cannsyl

Sep 22, 2015
    I was planning on attaching the elevated coop to the outside of the run with a little door so they would have both spaces available.

The run has some shade trees so it's always pretty shady there, it actually doest get any direct sun.

They will be let out into our 3/4 acre yard probably daily after work when I can watch them.

I ordered from mpc and they said 7 was the minimum. So that how I am ending up with 7 lol. I was originally going for 5 or 6 but the minimum was what it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by