Another pool drain option

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Nov 7, 2010.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Finally put a drain in the duck pool, but went a slightly different route than what has been shown in posts here, so thought I'd share.

1st -
    You need a duck pool and mark where you want your drain. Really, what good is a drain for a duck pool if you don't have a duck pool [​IMG]
    I made a better circle using the inside of the rubber washer once we knew which one we were using.
    [​IMG]

2nd -
    You grab your handy dandy dremel, which is normally only used for dog nails, and change the bit out to one you can cut a hole in your duck pool with
    [​IMG]

These are the 3/4" option, but we used 1" pieces for ours (we had the 3/4" because HD didn't have a piece in the 1" so just in case Lowe's also didn't stock it, we wanted to be sure we had what we needed for a smaller drain)
    [​IMG]

The 1" option. We bought a few options for washers as we didn't really know what we wanted to use. The one with the X was too big.
    [​IMG]

3/4" pieces bought at Home Depot
    A - Female adapter, $0.40, plumbing section
    B - PVC Coupling, $0.74, plumbing section
    C - CHS Nipple, $0.49, sprinkler section
    D - PVC Plug, $0.88, plumbing section

1" pieces bought at Home Depot and Lowes (Lowe's probably had all of it, but we started at HD and they didn't stock one piece we needed)
    E - #17 O ring (package of 2), $1.97, plumbing section with the sink and toilet repair stuff
    F - Rubber Grommets 1-11/16x1, $1.27, if you use these, you need 2, hardware section in the rubber washers and stuff drawers (this came from Lowe's)
    G - Female adapter, $0.66, plumbing section
    H - PVC Coupling, $0.83, plumbing section (HD did not have this, this came from Lowe's)
    I - CHS Nipple, $0.67, sprinkler section
    J - PVC Plug, $1.71, plumbing section

The final result, with ducks
    The drain cap goes on the outside unless you want to stick your hands in nasty duck poop water to drain the pool [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Nothing better than a story to go along with your photos. Nice big pool your babies have there and Blue is as stunning as ever. I need to invest in a BIG pool for my ducks so they can paddle about instead of pushing them selves round.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have a ball valve drain here, but it opens/closes so hard, I didn't really want to use that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by