another potential Boy??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shoresmarte, Apr 7, 2014.

1. shoresmarte

shoresmarte New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    is the chicken in the front a rooster, i was told they both were Astralope (i think thats how you spell it), she is being very bossy to the bigger chickens, she has feathers down her legs unlike the other one
    thanks in advance

2. shoresmarte

shoresmarte New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    helps if i put up a picture

[​IMG]

3. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Not pure Australorps, for sure! I'm seeing some partridge-like or brown feathers. However, they do have the Australorp eye, so maybe a mix? I cannot tell what shape the comb is. Is it a single? Rose? Pea? It doesn't look like in the picture a single...but it could be my eyes aren't picking up that detail. And -- sorry -- I suspect it's a boy.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. charliesweb3k

charliesweb3k Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Port Orchard Washington
    on the left for sure looks male and on the right female :) nice little pair you have :)

5. charliesweb3k

Oct 25, 2011
    Port Orchard Washington
    I have seen so many male and female chicks lately and yearly im getting to be pro hahhah plus the feathers at the age you have yours seem to be coming in like a cockeral :)

6. shoresmarte

shoresmarte New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    thought so, my odds have not been great so far bought these 2 and 2 orpingtons and so far have 2 roosters, might go for adult chooks from now on so i definately know that i am getting a hen

7. charliesweb3k

Oct 25, 2011
    Port Orchard Washington
    yeah i know what you mean. when i hatch chicks out i get sometimes half males . good luck with your chicks :)

8. Aragon

Aragon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Assuming they are about the same age, the one on the left looks like a boy. The wattles and the comb are significantly more mature than the one on the right.

9. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Defiantly not pure Australorps ( That is the correct spelling [​IMG] ). Yes the one on the left is looking like a male at the moment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by