Another (probably dumb) newbie question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hac1224, Mar 30, 2009.

1. hac1224

hac1224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Lincolnton, NC
    We have pretty much decided that we are getting Buff Orpington chicks, but haven't decided 100% sure where from. TSC has some they are just calling "buffs"....are these the same thing? The employees didn't know, of course.[​IMG] The chicks look the same as the ones I've seen online.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

There are NO dumb questions here!!!

Not sure about the "Buffs" (no TSCs around my house), but it sounds logical to me!

How many are you planning to get?? Where do you live??

Good Luck!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sorry I can't be much help with identification, but
    [​IMG] to BYC from Washington.
    Someone should be here soon that can answer your question.

Imp

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    [​IMG]

Ask them where they ordered from and call the hatchery to verify the breed.

5. hac1224

Mar 30, 2009
    Lincolnton, NC
    Quote:Thanks! I'll try that if I can figure out the # or site for the hatchery. TSC said that they came from Pritchard Hatchery in NM, but I'm having trouble finding them online. I guess I need to call TSC back to ask for contact info.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG]
    And remember, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

You should ask to talk to the individual at your TSC who is in charge of ordering/receiving the chicks. There should be someone there who placed that order, who asked for Buff Whatevers. There should be an invoice from the hatchery with the exact breed listed. You shouldn't have to do all that detective work just to know what you're buying from their store, they should be able to accomodate YOU.

I know of 2 types of Buff Somethings, Buff Orpingtons and Buff Rocks. Both are great heavy-breed layers of large brown eggs. The chicks look similar, and so do the adults but the Orpingtons have pink legs & the Rocks have yellow legs. I don't know if you could tell by the chicks' legs, they can change hue as they grow.

I wish you joy & success with your chickens, whatever you get. Please keep us posted.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Thanks! I'll try that if I can figure out the # or site for the hatchery. TSC said that they came from Pritchard Hatchery in NM, but I'm having trouble finding them online. I guess I need to call TSC back to ask for contact info.

There is a Privett hatchery. Maybe the employee got the name wrong.

http://www.privetthatchery.com/

8. hac1224

Mar 30, 2009
    Lincolnton, NC

There is a Privett hatchery. Maybe the employee got the name wrong.

http://www.privetthatchery.com/

Thanks, and you're right! I was actually coming on here to post that I just figured that out. The answer to my question....even the hatchery doesn't know what they sent out because TSC always orders "hatchery choice", and the hatchery doesn't keep records of what they send out for those orders. The hatchery also said there was no way to tell the difference in chicks.

9. stitch-a-bility

stitch-a-bility Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    Corning, AR
    [​IMG]

I'm sure you will find out what you need on here. Blessings!!!

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    What area of NC are you in, Heather?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by