1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another problem? Help what could it be now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JodiLynn, Dec 26, 2012.

1. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    My latest chicken experience has turned out to be a nightmare! I got 2 chocolate orps & 2 olandsk dwarfs for Christmas. These 4 birds came from a NPIP/AI clean breeder with a good reputation. less than 24 hours after I got them 1 of the chocolate's died of cocci (I am pretty sure as I saw blood and he was fluffed up, I couldn't get the corid in him in time) These birds have not touched my property but are being held in a building up the road to ensure the safety of our flock.

The remaining 3 are on day 4 of their corid treatment since they came together. now the other chocolate orp has bubbles in her eye. These guys are all around 8 weeks old. Here are some pics but my phone didn't get very clear pictures. I assume this may be a respiratory issue but should I continue to treat with corid then tylan or something? I am lost as to how to proceed here.

A side note: they all had lice/mites and have been dusted for this as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would be discussing all of these things with the clean breeder that supplied the birds since you just got them a couple days ago.

3. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    oh I have. he offered to replace the one I lost and instructed me to go to tractor supply and buy Sulfa...something to treat them cocci. He wouldn't even acknowledge that they had mice/lice. We paid a good bit for these birds and I have had non-stop issues. We are already attached and want to give them the best chance but at the same time we cant infect our own flock.

4. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Are bubbly eyes a symptom of cocci?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

After you've been in contact with those birds make sure that before you go into your coops at home you completely change clothes, shower even. It is very, very easy to carry respiratory disease home with you on your clothing, shoes, skin, hair, you name it. I don't know what that bird has but I'd be concerned. I think I'd be wanting that breeder to take all of those birds back and give a refund. If they do have some kind of respiratory disease they will likely always be carriers of it, even after they have recovered. So you could potentially still infect your flock with these birds even after they are doing better. Just not worth it.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

No but it is a sign of respiratory disease.

7. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    This is what I am afraid of, I can not have it spread. We have been good about changing and we make the building the last place we go at night so that we are not carrying it back and forth. Anyone else agree? I do not think he will take them back, I hate to cull them. He said that because they are English orps that they do not have the strong immune system for the diseases around here. I am not sure if this is the case but these 4 birds were a xmas present and I am just devastated about this. I thought I did the right thing by ordering from someone who was NPIP/AI clean. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by