1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another "Pullet or Cockrel" question from a newbie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by camby, Aug 6, 2013.

1. camby

camby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Sorry, I am sure many of you regulars are tired of this question from a newbie. I have looked at tons of pics and tried researching for over a week and can't make a determination. I have what is supposed to be a gold laced LF Cochin. I could care less if it is or not, I like the way he/she looks. However, When I bought it as part of a small group, the seller and I both thought it was a cockrel. Now at about 5 months old, I am not so sure. Any help is greatly appreciated. If more pics are needed, let me know what you need to see. The tail feathers are not very prominent. BTW, in the one pic she is standing beside a comet and light brahma hens who are about 3-4 months old. The brahma is about the same size as the other two, she is just "squated" down.

Thanks again,
    dc[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I'm finding it really difficult to see much detail in the feathers due to the lighting in your photos. It looks more like a pullet to me, but I would really like to see a full body photo and maybe if you used the flash it would be easier to see all those important feathers like the saddle and hackles. Don't worry about your query, this breed or gender forum exists for a good reason! And [​IMG]

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm also leaning pullet. And I second Tricoglossus' welcome--never be afraid to ask your breed and gender questions here, that's what this forum is for! If no one ever posted their questions, newbie or long-timer, the forum would be a very quiet and boring place.

4. camby

camby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Thanks and I'll attempt better pics today

5. camby

camby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    First, thanks for the words above. Second, here are two more pics. I am not the best photographer but hopefully these are better. He/She always tries to stay her distance so pics aren't always easy.

dc[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. krackowpolish

krackowpolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    fallbrook
    thats a roo. and[​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Boy oh boy! That is a handsome young rooster you have there.

8. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Male, here's why: His comb and waddles are red, the slope of his back goes out flat, the shape of tail and the pointed feathers on his tail. He'll be a very pretty boy.
    [​IMG]

9. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Handsome boy. Now you can see the importance of a good full body photo. It is essential in order to fully assess the bird.

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Oh, yeah. Now that you have a photo with better lighting, that's a cockerel for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by