Another Pullet Started Laying - Wierd Shaped Egg! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by F106A, Aug 7, 2011.

1. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Yesterday (8/6) another one, or two of my pullets started laying. I wish I knew which one it is, but they may even be from different pullets. Who knows. Their size is about the the same as my BR that started laying a few days ago (just under two inches), but these are darker than hers. The one on the left was layed yesterday, and isn't fully colored. The one on the right (edit: was layed today, and) has the "scratched" look to it, and is deformed. That's why I think they may be from different pullets. See the pics.

Y'all think these are just "beginner" eggs? I have no clue. BTW, both of these were layed on the floor - not in a nest. (I'm working on it!)

By the way, I have six Barred Rocks, one Buff Orp, one Buff Wyandotte, one Leghorn (all the same age), and six Production Reds that are four weeks younger than the others. I don't think any of the Reds are laying yet. We've got six eggs so far since 8/3.

Top view. The one on the right is sitting on it's flat spot.
    [​IMG]

Both turned 90 degrees. I had to use the pencil to hold up the one on the right as it has that flat spot.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, it could be her beginner egg, or it could be her shape for always. My Lt. Brahma hen lays an egg shaped like the one on the right every time, with the pointy end off center like that. It's how I know it's hers.

3. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Thanks!

I messed up in the description. The one on the left was layed yesterday, and the one on the right was layed today. I also got another "normal-looking" egg from 'Buffy' today, so today was my first multi-egg day! She's my BR that has been laying since Wednesday.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by