Another puppy question.. *short video clips on page 2* Advice?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, Dec 18, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Sorry.. [​IMG]

So today i had the puppy on the floor with my big dogs... they have been pretty good with him so far..
    My male is not impressed with him and mostly avoids him so far... hes not sure what to make of him.
    Well today they were all on the floor and Duke (adult male Saint Bernard) was chewing his bone and the pup came over and tried to chew on the bone too... Duke kinda yipped and make a fake lunge at him...the pup got scared and kinda ran off.
    Daisy (adult female) did the same thing to him over the bone today.
    Now..heres the thing..my 2 adults share all their toys and even food bowls.. they are not food agressive.
    But i'm worried that they are going to be with the new pup?
    Also..i tell the dogs "No! Easy!"..when they did it... and i even took the bone from Daisy and gave it to the pup for a minute.(i think that may have been a mistake to do..).. then when she sat there calmly i gave it back to her.
    Is it wrong to do that? Cause they didnt bite the pup... just told him to "stay away" from their bones...
    But..i want them to share with the pup..like they do with each other... i dont want to deal with any food agression problems later down the road!! [​IMG]
    I'll try to get a video of how they react to him...maybe you can tell me if they are being agressive to the pup...or just teaching him his place in the pack?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

They're just telling the little buggar that he's low man on the totem pole. They'll get along soon.

3. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Exactly,they are just letting him know it's theirs and that you don't just go and take someones bone.It was a warning.However,it was wrong to take their bone and give it to him.It could be felt as the baby is more important than them.Now competition.They were not bad,but they were being punished.the verbal reprimand was good.You could have scolded them and then given the baby something of his own and reinforced that with the grown ups.I've raised/rescued/and rehabilitated many APBT and they are pretty much the most apprehensive of their property.They will love you with all their heart,and because of this their heart will also break very easily.However they do not show depression instead aggression.

4. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    He has to fit into the pack, and there's no way they're going to let a puppy come in and be pack leader. They will show right from wrong. I personally wouldn't take from one of the adults and give to the puppy, it sends a mixed message to all of them. If they're not being truly aggressive I would let the adult dogs run the show. They know what they're doing. You haven't done anything wrong and you are the ultimate pack leader so what you say goes, but from now on I'd let the adults decide how to handle the pup getting in their "space". Most likely they will only vocalize to him to get their point across.

5. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    boy do we have something in common i we got a new puppy to that came into the house for the last three weeks. just my older dogs growl at the puppy while they eat there bones or eating out of their dish during feeding time. but they will let the puppy chew on their bone when they leave it on ground. and walk away from their food dish. i just warning my olders dogs that the puppy Frost is a baby. there is no bites marks or blood anywhere yet. but my CHI godzilla now have a playmate. he learn what a growl n show teeth means too. now he need to let me now when he need to go out in the rain lol.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I got a video of it.. (i'll try to figure out how to post it tonight)
    I also just dont like the way he also stares at the pup and gets very still...
    It just seems like a big warning to me... and one bite from my adult and this pup is dead. But i HAVE to get them used to each other now... while the pup is still a baby...
    He even did put his teeth on the pup just now, a quick graze....while i was tryin go get it on video.(i didnt get that one on video though..). He didnt bite but it was awfully rough for my taste.
    I have big dogs..i cant be worrying about pack agression... Gahhh!
    I thought adult dogs were supposed to be gentle with pups?? [​IMG]

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

This is one reason why I encourage folks who are getting puppies to let them stay with the mom longer than the "normal" 8weeks. Puppies really start learning doggie manners after that 8week period. That's what your adults are doing to him right now. Manners. My Katie had to learn them from her buddy, Cherry, the 8year old foxhound. He's low man on the totem pole. They will grow. They will nip. Eventually they will best of buds just like your 2 older ones

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Wait until they flip the little guy over. That will scare the pee out of you. If you feel more comfortable, get a cheap Pack and Play off craigslist or keep the little guy behind a baby gate. But this is going to happen until the puppy learns his place.

9. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    My dogs and my goats are exactly like that. Especially the goats. I have one female goat that is in charge of every other goat except for the buck (as of recently). At first we only had her and one other female and they got along fine. When we got the buck she lunged at him and rammed him away from everything: food, water, etc. but now she is used to him and knows that he is part of her herd now. The same with our 3rd female goat except shes still getting used to her and keeping her away from things but nature will take its course and she will eventually fit in as well. It just takes time for them to fit in. Also think about having a son or a daughter around the age of 4-5 and introducing a baby into the family. Your son or daughter still thinks everything is his/hers but eventually learns the baby has things too and the baby fits in with them as part of the family. Its normal i would just let them learn. Good luck.[​IMG]

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Except for my husband. He traded his sister for a pony. Honest. His parents made him get her back

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by