Another question about duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 20, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I recounted and realized that my 3 eggs from JMajors are due on the 23, not the 24th!! Anyway, so I know that I stop turning those tonight, and I have the bator almost ready, still working on the temps (still thought I had another day to play with it), but the humidity is about 86%. I candled them a little while ago, just to be nozey, and two of them look like they have yellow parts inside the shell? I candled them last night, and they didn't have this. I can't see any movement now, but they still had good veins, from what I could see. Is the yellow part of the egg normal?

2. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] Shelley,are they duck eggs or chicken eggs.And what kind of candler do you use.Sometime they can have good veins and still not make it.I have had some like that.But that may not be your case.But I would not jump the boat yet.Do they look full.They may be getting in postion to hatch.But if you don`t see them move in the next 2-3 days they may be dead.But stop turning,that may be your best bet.Can you hear anything in there,like scratching.good luck,We have had all kinds of different things to go wrong with duck eggs especially!!!!They may not all been picked up the same day.That can have make a difference.But I dont know it all by no means.Wish I did. lol,lol.Let me know.

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No these are white pekin duck eggs.

I have a small LED flashlight, that works pretty good. I can see that 12 of 14 of the eggs I got from you have veins for sure, and they were on day 3 yesterday! So I know it works!

I candled them last night, and again today when I realized how close they were. The two that have yellow inside the shell just have a spot on the shell, inside the air cell.

These eggs have looked completely full for 3+ days, so I know they are developed. We went to a birthday party today, and when we got back, one of the eggs had 'moved' on its own. I was kind of wondering if the yellow part on the inside of the shell meant that the ducklings had pipped, or were trying to or something?
    I've not had any eggs that were white-white. Most mine were more cream colored, or whitish, but these duck eggs are very white, so they are easy to see into. I thought I had heard a 'peep' earlier when I had the top of the bator off, but I didn't hear it again, so maybe I was hearing things!

I just have never noticed the eggs having yellow parts inside the air cell, especially since it wasn't there last night when I candled (around 10-ish) and it is there today when I candled around 3-ish!

4. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    At this point, if they are going to hatch on time, they should already be internally pipped or pressing on the air cell.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    When they still have 3 days left?

6. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Yes, ducks usually internally pip at 25 days.

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Could that be what has caused the yellow parts on the inside of the shell? I know I saw one pushing against the membrane the other day, and I thought I saw one that had pipped and was moving when I checked them earlier, but the air sacs on these eggs is pretty goofy-looking, being shipped eggs, so it's hard to tell if I am seeing what I think I am.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ok, I think I answered my own question! One of the two with yellow inside the air cell deffinitely peeped at us when we were moving them, and the other one with yellow is pushing against the membrane, but I don't think it has pipped the membrane yet. I don't think the other has done anything yet, but it has a very large air cell that goes down on both sides, like an upside down V, so it might have and I just can't see it.

9. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    :)Hey they have pipped and possibly trying to get out and they may have their beaks stuck.This will cause you to see the yellow.This happened to me once.You have to give them a little help.If they don`t soon pip through the shell.If they are rolling and got this yellow that is what it is.Tap on the shell and see if you can hear them moving and peep at them.

10. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] You may have to give them a little help.But make sure they have the moisture.because you if they are dry or stuck it is harder for them to get out,,,lol.I am a lot of help.But I am serious,these babys can get stuck in there sometime.I have never had that problem until this year.I don`t know if it is the weather or what.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by