1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

another question about feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickmchickie, Jul 10, 2011.

1. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I have another question.. My coop here sells start and grow .. i got one bag so far chickens come july 11th Monday.. so today i was thinking i better buy a few more bags cause i saw a post about others cant get it after " chick season" so i went back and nope they are out and wont get any till next spring.. so after this bag ends what should i switch them too.. btw Ely is very small.. we dont have fast food places here no wally world or kmarts.. all 3 hours away.. just to give you an idea of our 3 block down town, town lol..any help would be wonderful.... oh my chicks are vacc , so no medicated feeds

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure what kind of community it is, but do you have any grain elevators or places where farmers deliver grain? Usually these sell feed. What is the brand of feed you're using? You might be able to contact the company and find out if anyone else in your general area sells it.

I think it's so frustrating that these places sell chicks and then quit selling the feed. I get that they have to buy a certain amt but to leave your customers without feed like that just seems wrong to me. If they sell chicks they need to keep feed on hand for at least 3 mos after they sell their last batch.

3. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    No we dont have anything like that here.. we are luck with 2 food stores, but everythign else closes for the winter.. Purina start and grow.. with 25 chicks i dont think 50 pound bag will last long.. yeah i dont get why do quit selling it after chick season i thought we feed them that for 3 months or so..

4. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I didn't get me chicks from them its ely flower and seed they are a purina mills too.. I did call purina and they gave me the place i just bought from.. how long will a 50 pound bag last with 25 chicks? not long will they be ok to go onto something else and if yes what?

5. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    Scratch is an alternative. It isn't as good for them, it depends on if they get tablescraps, etc. It really depends on how old the chicks are. Maybe letting them forage outside? Just in a run? How old are they?

6. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I haven't got them yet.. monday july 11th i pick them up.. that is why i was trying to stock up on some feed cause i heard many places stop selling it after chick season.. so i am trying now to figure out what i need a few weeks down the road.. i saw a post about flock something feed.. and another post about purina chicken duck feed? i wish i could find them now.. it just makes me worried , i have stocked up on feeders.. 4... waters 4.. 50 pounds of shells for later.. now i just got 25 pounds of play sand.. kids plastic pool, red 250 light, temp.. lol you name it.. i was even givin a chick tee shirt for baby chickens lol that said my mommy is the best hahahahah

7. NixNoodleNumbat

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    How old will they be when you get them?
    If they are over six weeks and the feed runs out, don't worry, they should be fine outside. If they're younger than thatÂ… [​IMG]

8. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    They hatched today and was sent today for monday from a hatchery. Well i hope the 50 pounds lasts for a few weeks so i can figure this out.. i think there are online stores who will carry it i bet the shipping is high on 50 pounds tho.. [​IMG]

9. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    errr today is sun.. they were hatched sat and send for morrow delivery.. so 3 days old..

10. NixNoodleNumbat

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    Good luck! I really can't think of anything for chicks that young. I really hope this works out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by