1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another question about Gender - Cochin hen or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aoxa, Oct 28, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I bought this little girl (or.. boy?) at the chicken show/swap a month ago.. a little over a month.. She was 8 weeks old at the times, so she is 13 weeks old now. Hoping they weren't pulling my leg when they said pullet. Her comb is very small, but her tail feathers 'flow' at the tips.. like my silkie roo. I don't know much about the cochin breed, so I don't know if this is common in females as well.

Her legs seem really tall.. that's another thing that has me questioning it.. she is buff/partridge cochin. I haven't heard anything other than peeping from her, and once I get ahold of her, she likes to be snuggled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've named her Mabel, so I definitely hope she's a girl [​IMG] I already have two roos, and it wouldn't be a good thing if she turned out to be one as well. I hope my pictures are detailed enough. I can take more if needed. Hope someone can help!~

And yes, I know she is hatchery quality. I've been told that, and I have no intentions on showing her (obviously, with the mixed colouring and all..) She's grown a ton since I've brought her home.

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Looks like a pullet to me but she holds her tail higher like a roo. All of my Cochin girls have low very round tails.

3. aoxa

Quote:Maybe I caught her mid-poop? Lol!

[​IMG]
    (corner - bending over)

[​IMG]
    Just her butt in this one...

she doesn't really let me get close enough to photograph. She is going through that teenage phase!

ETA: I so hope you're right! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks to be pullet. in my experance at 13 weeks the hackles of a roo would be showing (at least on all mine they have and thats several different breeds) plus if it was a roo the comb would be bigger and the wattles would be showing more

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I agree that she's a pullet. I don't see any slender shiny saddle or hackle feathers, and like hdowden said, at 13 weeks they would be showing, and you'd have much more comb if it were a cockerel.

6. Patches The Hen

Patches The Hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    It looks like a pullet to me...
    although I've never had a cochin before:/

7. aoxa

Thanks everyone!

I can't believe it, but Mabel squatted for me tonight [​IMG]

Maybe she is older than I was told! I know for sure it was a squat.. How old do they have to be before they do that? Anyone know?

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I could have sworn one of my 13wk-olds did a proto-squat the other day. Kids these days... they grow up so fast!!! My neighbor said his BRs started laying at 18 weeks and his BOs at 20!!! Granted, he had a spring hatch...

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i thought pullet till i saw that tail. i'd say cockerel but wait until you hear a crow to be sure

10. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I have Cochins the same age, she's a definite girl [​IMG] Don't you just love their gentle personalities?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by