1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

another question about ISA Browns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poupoule, Nov 7, 2009.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Hi guys,

I have 2 ISA Browns, 1 Leghorn (not sure of the spelling) and a Red IslandxAustralorp rooster (I think). I also have in a differnt coop a bantam and 2 silkies. The bantan sat on some eggs (some of hers and some of my big breed) and 3 (out of 10 )chicks hatched (2 weeks old now [​IMG]), but none of the big breed. One of my silkie also strated to sit on some eggs (mix again) but after candling them all the ISA Brown eggs were not fertile.
    So here are my questions. Can you actually breed ISA Browns with other breeds? Or is it my rooster's fault? The rooster was given to me last year. Do they stop being fertile or low in sperm when they get old? Would it be time for me to replace him, or is it the ISA Browns fault? I love their egg production but would like to increase my flock, especially my big breed whhich produce decent size eggs. Can anybody out there help? Thanks

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Do ou know how old your roo is? I have heard they do get infertile with age.

3. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    No I have no idea how old he is, but the egg from the Leghorn hen is fertile and she is with him and the ISA Browns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by