Another question about late bloomers...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2lilchkns, Oct 21, 2013.

1. 2lilchkns

2lilchkns Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I am a new chick mom, and another thread about late-feathers got me looking pretty closely at one of my own. I have 10 two week old chicks of multiple breeds: RIR, ameracauna, speckled Sussex, barred rock, white rock, and buff orpingtons.

The barred rock is looking much less mature than the others. Significantly less feathering and smaller. Also, although she is eating and drinking, she eats less and sleeps more than the others. Not a real live wire.

Should I be worried? After reading the other thread, I thought perhaps she might be a roo. But, she is not bossy or particularly active at all, compared to the others. She does eat though, and seems to enjoy kicking around the shavings now and then.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If you can, you might want to take and post some pictures of the chick in question (and maybe some of her compared to the hatch mates). Slow feathering is just one of the signs to look for in a possible cockerel, it doesn't always hold true, some really slow feathering birds turn out to be pullets. From what you say, it sounds more like this chick chick is not developing as well as the others for one reason or another. I would be concerned that that particular chick is ill or something is going on with it. Has she always been behind the others? How is her body condition, does she seem in good weight for her size? Any odd behavior besides sleeping a lot?

3. 2lilchkns

Oct 7, 2013
    Thanks -- I will definitely post pictures when I get home tonight. No other odd behaviors that really stand out. She is a very laid-back chick, and is very calm and comfortable when we pick her up, and likes to eat out of our hands. But she definitely eats less than the others.

4. 2lilchkns

Oct 7, 2013
    Well, it is amazing what a difference 24 hours can make. Our Barred Rock (Bunny) is eating more and more active, now. I'll post some pictures, but the chicks moved around so much it was hard to get any good ones. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    So what do you think? Is she a rooster, or just kind of small?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    In every clutch of bitys I hatch there's always one that is "slow" or acts weird. I haven't paid enough attention to verify this but I suspect the slow ones are the same ones that die several months later from mysterious Chicken Death.

6. 2lilchkns

Oct 7, 2013
    Oh no! I hope she turns out to be okay. She is now the one my kids are most attached to, because she is laid back and so much smaller than the others. Everyone always roots for the under-chicken, I guess.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Unfortunately sometimes these chicks that are small and unthrifty seem to have congenital defects that don't really show up until later, often as chickenlegs13 said they do seem to die of "unknown" causes. Hopefully yours is just a small chick with a laid back temperament, but I would be prepared for problems with her down the road. Gender wise, she is to young to really know, but she doesn't have that big of a head spot and nothing really says roo to me.

8. Savanni

Savanni New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    I am sending warm thoughts and warm wishes your way! I hope your little one pulls through and has a nice, healthy, long life. [​IMG]

9. 2lilchkns

Oct 7, 2013
    Thank you!! She sure is a lovable little thing. But then, they all are. I can totally see how people get addicted to chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by