Another question from Newbie regarding male/females

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dawnjoennikki98, Nov 3, 2010.

1. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Hi again! As my babies are just over two months, and have very different quacks/sounds, i believe i know 3 are drakes for sure, (their tails are starting to show a curl too) and possibly one or two more, out of my 8 are drakes!!! :-O what kinds of problems will this cause? They all get along great now, stick close together and watch out for each other. they are in a coop/shed all night, and a small run during most of the day, then free range when i get home from work. will i need to seperate them? thanks!

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Their hormones will set in about a month and that's when trouble will arrive. They will fight over the girls, at which point you have to get a bachelor pen ready. A good ratio is 3-9 hens per drake. To many drakes can injure and even drown hens in the water with their over breeding. I had to find homes for 4 drakes. I now have 1 drake and 8 girls. The dynamic has changed so much since, they are really sweet to each other.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can keep ducks in pairs in small groups, I have 4 drakes and 6 ducks, they get along just fine. I normally have more drakes than ducks, just the luck of the draw I guess. I have never had a problem with drakes killing ducks, though anything can happen I guess. Usually the drakes will pick their favorites and keep the others away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by